Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the min. number of spokes I should have on each wheel for a 200lb rider? I am thinking about upgrading wheels and going from 32 spokes to around 20. Will that be enough? I mostly do paved trail rides with an occasional charity ride.

-Links

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm about 200lb, and have 20 spoke rear, adn 16 front. Both radial laced.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I've been riding/racing a set of Neuvation M28 Aero 2's all season with my weight going from around 225 when I purchased them to low 190's/upper 180's now.

They are 16f/20r and have been very stiff and an excellent wheelset. I'm a strong rider with my strength in TT's, but can climb fairly well for my size and am a good sprinter. I've had zero problems with these wheels and to date probably have 2500-3000 miles on them. They are still true and honestly, other than cleaning them, I haven't had to touch them.

With that said...they are a bit heavier than other low spoke count wheels at 1740 grams a wheelset. Once these wheels die, I'll likely order another set but go with the R28 Aero 4's with a steel cassette freehub (lighter rims and better hubs).

You can get away with lower spoke counts, just make sure the wheels are pretty solid if you do. You don't want to go too light in the wheels if you are a bigger/stronger rider. A set of 1200 gram wheels probably won't serve you well or at least not for long :D

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"I mostly do paved trail rides with an occasional charity ride."

Oh yes, you need wheels with as few spokes as possible to get your average speed up there. I'm sure that you could ride wheels with as little as 12 spokes. They might even increase your average speed .07 mph.

D'OH.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lower spoke count wasn't to increase my speed, way to ASSume grumpy. A friend of mine has offered me a set of 700c wheels to replace my 27" wheels, but they have a lower spoke count. I asked you guys to see if it would work safely.

-Links

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I'm over 200 pounds and have struggled with many a rim, to save time and go faster. Take it from me, the best strategy..but by far the most difficult, is weight loss. I tear up so many wheels. Good luck with those low spoke count wheels my friend.

It's like the big lady who goes in to see the doctor. The doctor tells her that knee surgery is necessary. The fact is that if she simply lost weight, the surgery could be avoided completely.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
lo spoke

links0311 said:
The lower spoke count wasn't to increase my speed, way to ASSume grumpy. A friend of mine has offered me a set of 700c wheels to replace my 27" wheels, but they have a lower spoke count. I asked you guys to see if it would work safely.

-Links
tell us the brand, if you want our advice otherwise ur question is meaningless.

·
24,573 Posts
700c wheels will probably not work in a frame designed for 27" wheels.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
28 if it is a strong rim like a Velocity Deep V. Otherwise 32 if you really want them to last. Lower spoke rims, unless you buy the really expensive ones, have to make up the loss of strength due to fewer spokes by making the rim stronger, which usually means heavier, and is bad because of physics you do not want more rotating mass on the rim.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
links0311 said:
What's the min. number of spokes I should have on each wheel for a 200lb rider? I am thinking about upgrading wheels and going from 32 spokes to around 20. Will that be enough? I mostly do paved trail rides with an occasional charity ride.

-Links
I weigh the same and use CXP33 rims with 32 front and 36 rear, 3x with brass nips and Record hubs--have had to rebuild the rear 2 times now (in about 7 years). Front is still good as new. Last rebuild they tied and soldered...stiffest wheel I've ever ridden.

·
24,573 Posts
I wonder if it would work if you had canti's?

Aren't all drop bolts made for the old style "thru bolt" style, instead of the allen bolt style?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Speaking of running 700c on a frame designed for 27", it is possible to do with certain calipers. There are some calipers that are "long reach" that will allow you to run a 700, depending of course on your frame. I've ridden an early 80s Raleigh that was switched over to 700c that way, and it worked fine. However, I'd do a test fit before spending any $$.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
32 is the minimum for the rear wheel. The front can be radial laced and can be a low spoke count.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.