Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything harmful ( to my bike) in using mineral spirits to clean my drivetrain?

I figure it's cheap and cuts through grease with little residue. Will it harm any of the metal or plastic on my bike?

thanks

·
Registered
21,582 Posts
OMS works just fine

Mineral Spirits, or Odorless Mineral Spirits, is a good solvent for chain cleaning. The home brew chain lube is 3-4 parts OMS and one part oil, so lots of people are using it on their bikes. Presumably you're not going to be soaking plastic parts for long times, and since organic solvents have no effect on metal, you're good to go.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just don't forget to apply lube after you're done with the mineral spirits. Or make a home brew that contains both at the same time.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Tre-colore said:
Try WD40 can't be beat for degreasing and lubing.
I've never tried WD40 for degreasing, but don't use it as a lube - it is far too light.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Cheap Home Depot paint thinner, $1.49 a gallon

Might be the same stuff--I haven't bought any in awhile because I let the crud settle and pour the clean fluid back, so it lasts a long time. But I've used the cheapest paint thinner/solvent (labels vary) I can find for years, and it's never hurt anything. With spotty maintenance of the whole family's bikes (nine of them at the moment), a gallon lasts for years.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
One thing to consider...

Solvents like mineral spirits and paint thinner can actually clean TOO good, as they are lighter than most chain lubes, so they can clean way deep inside the rollers. I've heard of folks that did this to a new chain and then had a squeaky-clean chain. Problem was that they had a hell of a time getting the squeak to go away as it took several lubings to get lube back into the deep crevices of the chain.

That's one reason why old-school team wrenches use diesel fuel - there's some oil in there that stays behind after all of the solvents do their intended job.

Mike

·
Registered
204 Posts
Simple green

I have used simple green for the last 2 years. I use it in conjunction with the park chain cleaner. Works real good. I am going to try the synthetic motor oil and mineral spirits for lube that I saw on this board.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
How do you dispose of the dirty stuff?

gmikes said:
Is there anything harmful ( to my bike) in using mineral spirits to clean my drivetrain?

I figure it's cheap and cuts through grease with little residue. Will it harm any of the metal or plastic on my bike?

thanks
Just let it evaporate?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts