Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm watching Discovery or Science channel and they show the commercial for "Survivor Man" where Les Stroud runs his hands over some greens on the ground and says something like, "Mmm, miner's lettuce" when I realised that I have a whole bunch of the stuff in my back yard growing wild and out of control. I looked it up on the 'Net and it is, indeed, miner's lettuce. Knowing my wife, she will NOT harvest some of it and make dinner with it, if you know what I mean. It's supposed to taste like spinach, which we eat occasionally.

Maybe I should harvest some without her knowledge, put it into some of those clear plastic bags like you get from the supermarket and put that into a Safeway bag and leave it on the counter? I'll try some raw just to make sure I don't get sick or anything.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Are there any kiddies involved in this household? If so, we want pics when you tell them it was basically lawn clippings they just had for dinner!

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Squidward said:
So, I'm watching Discovery or Science channel and they show the commercial for "Survivor Man" where Les Stroud runs his hands over some greens on the ground and says something like, "Mmm, miner's lettuce" when I realised that I have a whole bunch of the stuff in my back yard growing wild and out of control. I looked it up on the 'Net and it is, indeed, miner's lettuce. Knowing my wife, she will NOT harvest some of it and make dinner with it, if you know what I mean. It's supposed to taste like spinach, which we eat occasionally.

Maybe I should harvest some without her knowledge, put it into some of those clear plastic bags like you get from the supermarket and put that into a Safeway bag and leave it on the counter? I'll try some raw just to make sure I don't get sick or anything.
Is that anything like Poke Salad?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
That stuff is decent. If anyone complains, ask them where their usual salad comes from. The supermarket is not the right answer.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
i found it pretty bitter when i tried it once while backpacking, though if i was starving in the woods it would be super delicious.

·
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rward325 said:
Are there any kiddies involved in this household? If so, we want pics when you tell them it was basically lawn clippings they just had for dinner!
We're Chinese. My kids have eaten things (without knowing what it was they were eating at the time) that most adults wouldn't eat. The funniest thing recently was something that my children thought was a form of chicken because the Cantonese word for frog has the word chicken in it.

I sure hope it's miner's lettuce because I just broke off a small bit of it, about 1 square centimeter of it, and ate it. It was not bad at all. Kind of like eating raw spinach but not as bitter. If I don't post tomorrow then you'll know it wasn't edible. :)

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Used to eat it all the time when I was a Boy Scout, and I've mentioned it in several stories on wild foods. Tastes like every other green to me...spoze to be high in Vitamin C, I think. Put it in a salad with lettuce etc. Be sure to harvest from an area that doesn't get contaminated with herbicides, pesticides, dog poop etc.
Purslane is another weed that's eaten in many parts of the country. Our yard's overrun with it in spring. You might look for that. It's even been on the Food Channel: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...q=purslane&gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&sa=G&ie=UTF-8

·
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think there's any herbicides or pesticides back there. Don't have any pets so the only poop to worry about comes from birds.

Maybe I'm paranoid but my tongue is tingling right now. Should I be worried? Could be that I burned my tongue last night eating dinner, though.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Can we trade kids? I swear if doesn't Tomato sauce and Pasta my kids won't eat it. God forbid there is anything on the plate that is green! Then all hell breaks loose!

·
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm rather fond of my children other than the fact that my son has a problem with turning in homework. Either he doesn't do it or he does it but doesn't turn it in. Their school emails me every day if they get any grade less than 60% on anything and we've received a few of those. Oh, yeah, what worked for me when they were younger was, "Just eat it, it's good for you." Now that they're older (she's 8 and he's 11) I use, "Try it once and if you don't like it then you don't have to eat it." If they're being difficult I just order them to eat or starve. No ifs, ands, or buts.

The good news is that I'm still alive with no ill effects of eating that small bit of what I think is miner's lettuce. I'll try a larger piece and just pretend that it's chewing tobacco for 15 minutes next before committing to actually eating it. I better move quickly, though, because my wife has added clearing the weeds out of our backyard to the "Honey-do" list and it's been placed pretty high on there, too. She still doesn't know that the stuff is edible.

Do we only eat the leafy part or do we eat the stems/flowers, too? I'm pretty useless in the kitchen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.