• Blackburn air stik sl aluminum

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Topeak micro rocket carbon with T handle

Votes: 2 6.7%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last century ride one rider had 4 flats (think twice about those 20mm tires, LOL). I use CO2, however usually have only 2 cartridges. I could carry more cartridges or get one of those mini pumps. After reading up on this forum I have to decide between Topeak micro rocket carbon (55 g.)or Blackburn air stik sl carbon (51 g.) What are your recommendations? Should I get aluminum pump, only about 10 g heavier for both pumps?Thanks for your opinions!

· wasssabi
2,083 Posts
My LBS sells many, but the manager recomended and sold me a Wrench Force. I don't know the model. It was about 25 bucks, is about 12 inches long, skinny and comes with a nice holder that mounts to your seat tube bottle cage mounts. I can get 100 pounds + no prob out of it. Even has spare patches in the handle. I love it.
I had 3 flats one day before I got it and my friend handed me his mini Blackburn. Useless!!! Couldn't get more thand 50 pounds out of it before it started coming off the valve stem. Way to much work pumping that tiny thing too.
I was told, general rule, short pumps for Mt. bikes, long for road. This has been true for me so far.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TK , all mini pumps performance wise are useless, LOL. That's why I will stick with CO2. I want mini pump as a back up when I run out of cartridges and just need few pounds of pressure to get me back home. Thanks for your input.

· wasssabi
2,083 Posts
Yes, I carry two co2's and when those run out. Pump pump baby!
I rode home about 10 miles that day with 46 pounds in my rear tire. Next ride my friend had that pump in his pocket again and I said "Dude why?!!! Remember yesterday. I wanted to throw that pump in the bushes.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
waterobert said:
TK , all mini pumps performance wise are useless, LOL. That's why I will stick with CO2. I want mini pump as a back up when I run out of cartridges and just need few pounds of pressure to get me back home. Thanks for your input.
Absolutely wrong. Most work well if used correctly. Problem is, most folks don't know how.

Pushing hand against hand, you are absolutely right - they're tiring, blow off the stem, and don't hit high pressures. Often enough, they wrench against the stem, ripping them from the tube.

But lay the wheel on the ground, support the pump head against a solid object like a curb, shoe, or rock, or upright against a pole or fencepost, and 110psi is less than two minutes away.

If that's not handy, hold each end (head and handle) in a fist, put either fist on the inside of either knee, and do the Charleston, letting the big leg muscles doing the work. It's not quite as graceful, but it's less tiring.

Other models sometimes need adaptations to technique, but you get the idea.

Once you learn how, it seems silly to keep it as backup for the heavier, more expensive, and less reliable option of CO2.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I agree with Danl1. I always carry CO2 as my primary inflator. Normally I have 3 cartridges, 1 upside down in the inflator and 2 extras. I always carry a mini pump for "insurance." I have the Topeak Micro Carbon on 1 bike and a Barbiere on the other. I've used each over the years, and both work just fine. I prefer the Barbiere over the Topeak mostly because it's easier to hold. I have no problem getting over 100 psi with either one.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I agree with Danl1. I always carry CO2 as my primary inflator. Normally I have 3 cartridges, 1 upside down in the inflator and 2 extras. I always carry a mini pump for "insurance." I have the Topeak Micro Carbon on 1 bike and a Barbiere on the other. I've used each over the years, and both work just fine. I prefer the Barbiere over the Topeak mostly because it's easier to hold. I have no problem getting over 100 psi with either one.
Man, I love my Barberis - one carbon, one Ti. Too bad they're not easy to find.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
waterobert said:
On my last century ride one rider had 4 flats (think twice about those 20mm tires, LOL). I use CO2, however usually have only 2 cartridges. I could carry more cartridges or get one of those mini pumps. After reading up on this forum I have to decide between Topeak micro rocket carbon (55 g.)or Blackburn air stik sl carbon (51 g.) What are your recommendations? Should I get aluminum pump, only about 10 g heavier for both pumps?Thanks for your opinions!
Get a full-sized frame pump. It'll make your life so much more pleasant when you eventually use it or some one borrows it.

Either the extra 50g doesn't matter (CO2 + cartridges + micro pump vs carbon frame pump), or it does and there's a car following you with spare wheels and bikes so it still doesn't.

· wasssabi
2,083 Posts
danl1 said:
Absolutely wrong. Most work well if used correctly. Problem is, most folks don't know how.

Pushing hand against hand, you are absolutely right - they're tiring, blow off the stem, and don't hit high pressures. Often enough, they wrench against the stem, ripping them from the tube.

But lay the wheel on the ground, support the pump head against a solid object like a curb, shoe, or rock, or upright against a pole or fencepost, and 110psi is less than two minutes away.

If that's not handy, hold each end (head and handle) in a fist, put either fist on the inside of either knee, and do the Charleston, letting the big leg muscles doing the work. It's not quite as graceful, but it's less tiring.

Other models sometimes need adaptations to technique, but you get the idea.

Once you learn how, it seems silly to keep it as backup for the heavier, more expensive, and less reliable option of CO2.
Wait, let me write that down. What was that? Hold bike over head, put pump between toes, hop up and down on one foot while whistling Dixe.:mad2:
Jeez, how about screw on cartridge, push on valve stem for 2 seconds, go ride.
But seriously, I don't worry about this anymore. I now have a bright yellow car full of wheels follow me wherever I go.:thumbsup:

· Don't Tread on Me
994 Posts
Not exactly a mini pump, but I just bought a Topeak Road Morph and this thing works awesome.

I throw it in my jersey, and forget about it - I don't even realize it's there. Since then, I've taken my (2) cO2 cartridges, valve, etc and letf them behind for the pump. It's lighter too.

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Leyzne Road Drive

I've used a bunch of mini pumps over the years. I bought a Leyzne Road Drive L last year and I'm very pleased with it. I'm hard on valves. This pump takes a little longer to use as you have to unscrew the hose from the pump barrel and screw it onto the opposite end, Then screw the hose onto the valve. I have used both the Blackburn Airstick Mini, carbon and aluminum, not much of a diff, carbon version weighs a few grams less. The only thing I can add is I don't know how these pump manufacturers come up with their max inflation specs. Best I can do with a mini is around 90 psi. I also cheat I pack two cartridges of 12g co2 and a mini.

I pack a full length Blackburn on my old steel bike.

The Road Drive now comes in silver aluminum, black or white. I have the silver al version.

· Registered
51 Posts
Dinosaur said:
I've used a bunch of mini pumps over the years. I bought a Leyzne Road Drive L last year and I'm very pleased with it. I'm hard on valves. This pump takes a little longer to use as you have to unscrew the hose from the pump barrel and screw it onto the opposite end, Then screw the hose onto the valve. I have used both the Blackburn Airstick Mini, carbon and aluminum, not much of a diff, carbon version weighs a few grams less. The only thing I can add is I don't know how these pump manufacturers come up with their max inflation specs. Best I can do with a mini is around 90 psi. I also cheat I pack two cartridges of 12g co2 and a mini.

I pack a full length Blackburn on my old steel bike.

The Road Drive now comes in silver aluminum, black or white. I have the silver al version.
+1 for the Road Drive. Excellent pump.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.