Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
are Crank Bros mini-pumps able to pump up a road tire fairly easily? is there something that does the job better? what about their floor pumps, anyone care to offer up some opinions?

--edit--

hrmmm...so it seems no minipumps are easily going to fill up a tube to 100psi, as per the other thread. hmmm...

·
Registered
433 Posts
the Inbred said:
are Crank Bros mini-pumps able to pump up a road tire fairly easily? is there something that does the job better? what about their floor pumps, anyone care to offer up some opinions?

--edit--

hrmmm...so it seems no minipumps are easily going to fill up a tube to 100psi, as per the other thread. hmmm...
I've got a Crank Brothers standard power pump and have used it to fill both 2.1X26 MTB tires and 700X35 road tires. It takes time and a lot of strokes. The pump has a switch that changes it to low volume high pressure mode, which helps with road tires. You have to learn to steady the head by gripping it along with a couple of spokes, then push the pump plunger with your chest and triceps muscles, kind of like one-armed bench presses. I don't get many flats and like the easy storage of the power pump. YMMV.

·
Registered
985 Posts
SKS Teleskop minipump pump road tires quite easily. It is rated 120psi, but really it would be rather 110-115.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, thanks for that info. i wasn't really expecting to get more than 90psi out of any of them. good to see there are some that can get up there.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Performance Hurricane MiniMax

the Inbred said:

--edit--

This is a convertible: a mini pump that converts to a mini floor pump with base and flexi hose. It ain't light at about 240 grams, about 12 inches long, but I carry mine in a jersey pocket and its never fallen out. This pump will get you to about 110 psi with a little muscle and won't take all day. Its cheap too. Topeak makes one too called the Morph, and Sigma makes a line also. This is the way to go as all other types of mini pumps are crap for getting to road tire pressure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Blackburn Airstik

Have acouple of these on my road bikes and would say it's the best minipump I have ever had - you can get 110 psi with lots of effort. But lets face it mini pumps are a compromise to save weight and bulk - which I do not mind making for a little extra effort now and then. If you want a great full size frame pump look at the Topeak Road Morph which is basically a mini track/floor pump the size of a standard frame pump.

http://www.topeak.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/Store/raodmorphG.html?L+scstore+htnx6218ffd4fbd4+1078497834

·
Registered
985 Posts
the Inbred said:
cool, thanks for that info. i wasn't really expecting to get more than 90psi out of any of them. good to see there are some that can get up there.
Really, one of the SKS minipump is rated 160psi, but I can't remeber it name just now (and never have tried that pump. Teleskop I use regulary)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Have to correct myself/ The minipumps rated to 12bar (~160Psi) is produced not by SKS but by Topeak, PocketRocket MasterBlaster and PocketRocket MasterBlaster DX (what a names!).
But for some reasons these pumps are present only on German Topeak site and are absent from their US and International sites.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I got a Barbieri Carbone a few weeks ago for my new bike. I was being a geek and got it cause the barrel & plunger are carbon fiber so the thing only weighs 69g.

I figured it would be pretty hard to pump up a tire...

Big surprise. Tried it last night. Very, very effective. It is rated for 140psi, it got my road tire to normal pressure in no time at all and was very easy to pump.

Ben

·
Registered
288 Posts
benInMA said:
I got a Barbieri Carbone a few weeks ago for my new bike. I was being a geek and got it cause the barrel & plunger are carbon fiber so the thing only weighs 69g.

I figured it would be pretty hard to pump up a tire...

Big surprise. Tried it last night. Very, very effective. It is rated for 140psi, it got my road tire to normal pressure in no time at all and was very easy to pump.

Tell us more about this pump please. I have a Topeak Pocket Master Blaster 115 grams and I can't say I'm in love with it. You can get enough air in your tire to get home (probably about 80 pounds maybe 85) but I find that hard to do without bending the valve stem.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Here is a link to it on performance, looks like it is on sale for $25.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17207

I honestly didn't check the pressure after pumping it up. The reason I tried it is I went in the garage and found my bike had a flat tire from a slow leak. I changed the tube and when I went to pump it back up my floor pump gave up the ghost and wouldn't work.

So I tried the mini-pump. It definitely works, but I had no pressure gauge to verify. I'll try it again tonight as I got a new floor pump. Just based on sitting on the bike and looking at the rear tire my bet is it got the tire to at least 115psi without much effort.

It seems to have a very very good head design. No leakage at all, and I'm guessing the barrel & seals work better because the CF is so stiff.

Ben

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
I knew on person who bought the Barbieri Carbone pump and he liked it, he claimed he could get to 125 with little effort. I have a super mini called the Torelli Aria, probably the smallest and lightest mini on the market; you can put it your jersey pocket, seat bag or comes with clips to attach to the side of your water bottle cage. It will pump to 115psi (I did it) even though it's rated for 100. But I never put more than 100psi in my tires anyway so the Aria is more than enough for me. The mini's do require at least 3 times the pumping that a frame pump would take to get to the same pressure.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have one also, got it for 20 dollars at Performance. It pumps up the tires, which is all I ask it to do. I got it up to 80psi without trying and see pressures over a 100 to be no problem. A great pump for an emergency. I did have to really tighten the head screw down so that it would fit over the presta valve with no leakage.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
the Inbred said:

--edit--

Mini pumps will get you home, but a full size frame pump will get you going quicker and get your tires to the correct pressure even. Ever since a bad experience with C02 and a walk home I carry a full size frame pump always--at least on my road bike.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I checked it with a pressure gauge today... it had 140psi in it.

Honestly this thing is just amazing. I have a full size frame pump on my other bike. Blackburn I think. It is not as good as the Carbone. I remember getting flats and using the full size frame pump, it is a b*tch to get the tire up to pressure compared to this thing.

I'm probably going to buy another one so I have them on both bikes. Why would I carry a huge pump that weighs extra and scratches the frame when this teeny featherweight thing works better?

Ben

1 - 20 of 21 Posts