Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 200 miles on my 6750 crankset, and thought I'd share my input. Before I had this, I had a 6600 crankset, which I was very happy with. It shifted very well, looked good, and I got it for a great price. I went to the compact cranks to help me out in the hills of Austin, the few times I'm there. I definitely didn't need them for the flats of Houston though!
Visibly, the differences are dramatic. They have a grey finish vs. the polished aluminum, with a dull silver in the middle of the crank. One nice improvement is the plastic cap that is used to put tension on the non-drive side crank arm, it's much more recessed which allows tightening/loosening to be a lot easier than the very shallow indent of the old one. Looking at the back of the chainring, you notice that there are now 4 ramps for shifting vs. the three of the older Ultegra. It's also a simpler design that, to me, looks like it might not work as well. The back of the ring is nearly black, which will hide road grime better.
Functionally, well, it's a Shimano crankset. Lighter than the old one, yet very solid. The ramp-up to the large chain ring is a slight improvement over the 6600. This might not sound like a big thing, but the 6600 shifted to the large chain ring very fast. The 6700/6750 is faster. It took me a while to fully realize this, as dialing in a 7800 FD (with 7800 shifters too) took a bit more tweaking than the older one did.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have a 6703 crank with 6603 10sp shifters and derailleurs. The front derailleur shifts great. I had an Ultegra 6503 9 speed group on this bike before with FSA triple crank. The 6703 crank and 6603 10sp setup shifts better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts