Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a mini torque wrench for stems and handlebars, etc. I have a bad habit of overtightening things...I do use torque wrench on large items (cranks, chainrings, etc. etc.) but when it comes to adjusting stem or handlebars, I usually just loosen, adjust and re-tighten. the problem is that now I have a carbon steerer tube, carbon stem, and carbon bars and don't want to crush/crack anything.

· Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
Fast Eddie said:
this is cool and retarded all in one. :D

to OP. just get a craftsman or something in inch*pounds.

also learn to go by feel. you don't have to have a torque wrench for these small bolts.

consider using some of that tacx paste so you can increase friction at low torques

mx

· Registered
188 Posts
I've been working on bikes for yrs. I've never overtightened and stripped a bolt or crushed anything or even had parts loosted up due to lack of tightness. It just takes a feel. I dont think torque wrenches are that necessary. My current ride has a carbon bair, stem, seat rails etc and all was assembled without the use of a torque wrench. Just say to yourself as you tighten, hmm it's getting hard to turn, will 1/8th more a turn do damage? :D

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah...I have done it by feel my entire life and have a real bad habit of saying, "ok, pretty tight...1/3 more turn"...then snap, there goes a head gasket. Not fun at 2 in the morning. If I was confident in my feel, I would have never posted. I have a full size craftsman, but I hate getting it out everytime I want to torque something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.