Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a road bike that runs long reach caliper brakes, and lets me fit 34mm cross treads. I love it and ride it a ton on singletrack (mostly trail actually). Really wish I had more brake power though.

So option 1 is to get a cross frame and just swap my parts right over and run mini-v brakes. This is by far the lowest cost option, and I'll run this bike on the trail and the road with tire changes.

Option #2 is to sell the whole thing and get a disc cross bike. I know disc will have more power and modulation than my long reach calipers....but also force a much bigger cash outlay.

but the question is: will mini-V's have a decent bit more bite than the calipers? And I think I'm giving up a smidge of modulation right?
Thanks!

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
Option #3 get a cross frame with disc tabs... and swap over the parts. You can buy cheap mini-vs for less than disc calipers but you are paying the same for higher end stuff bb7 vs cx8.4.

Hopefully you've experimented with different pads before making any major investment.

I wouldn't weld any thing onto a frame that wasn't designed for a given braze-on. There are simply too many variables to consider, starting with expense. It would be cheaper to get a new frame most likely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.