Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all my years of riding, I have avoided riding in the rain. Next weekend I may have to for the MS150. What minimum gear should I have? I have a normal 'plastic' windbreaker that has a hood that can be stored in the collar. What abuot for hands, feet, etc. etc. Not wanting to spend a lot of money as I will not ride in the rain unless it is something special like the MS150. Any other things I should think about if I am forced to ride in the rain?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
MCF said:
In all my years of riding, I have avoided riding in the rain. Next weekend I may have to for the MS150. What minimum gear should I have? I have a normal 'plastic' windbreaker that has a hood that can be stored in the collar. What abuot for hands, feet, etc. etc. Not wanting to spend a lot of money as I will not ride in the rain unless it is something special like the MS150. Any other things I should think about if I am forced to ride in the rain?
Depends on the temp. If it's warm enough, it hardly matters at all. If it's not, you'll be misable no matter what you buy, reasonably speaking.

This is where I put in my plug for wool. Jacket or not, you'll end up wet, and wool won't get clammy feeling even if it is wet. Remains useful for colder-weather dry riding, too.

If you ain't gonna ride in the cold either, I can't help you.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
That reminds me, I need to get something for the rain too. I planned on just a light raincoat with a hood. I doubt we'll get another cold front, but with the global climate these days its hard to tell.
Just a week and a half away!!! I'm anxious, nervous, and excited about it. How about you?

·
yup
2,726 Posts
Temperature matters, but assuming it will be over 45 and if there is going to be a lot of rain, I recommend a breathable light water resistant outer shell. Showers Pass makes a fantastic well vented shell jacket out of eVent fabric, which is (in my opinionated opinion as a very wet Oregonian) about the best stuff out there. for lowers I prefer water resistant tights over full blown rain pants, but 150 miles you might want to get a shell there too. I assume you don't have fenders so your legs are going to get soaked. Lots of options for shoes, but assuming the temp is OK I would go with thin wool socks and shoe covers that have a tall ankle, maybe like the pearl izumi's. Something lightweight you can easily strip off if the weather changes is key for all of the above. You don't want to seal yourself in to much or get too hot- breathability is key or you will get soaked in your own humid micro climate.

Oh yeah- I wear a very light OR skull cap under my helmet when it's wet but not cold

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure how I feel except...

Peanya said:
That reminds me, I need to get something for the rain too. I planned on just a light raincoat with a hood. I doubt we'll get another cold front, but with the global climate these days its hard to tell.
Just a week and a half away!!! I'm anxious, nervous, and excited about it. How about you?
That I'm ready and praying for no rain. Did it last year and it was a great experience (along with worst head wind in 13 years). With my luck, it will rain this year. One more short ride tomorrow night, long ride on Saturday (Katy 76 mile ride), short ride next Tuesday and then just some light cardio on Wednesday and Thursday. Guess I will be going to Performance Bike this weekend to get some rain stuff...if it ends up not raining, I will just take it back.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
get a wool baselayer. seriously. listen to the guys that have been there. isn't that why you asked for advice?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Creakyknees said:
get a wool baselayer. seriously. listen to the guys that have been there. isn't that why you asked for advice?
Wool's great stuff. Cheap guy tip: I have a merino wool (very, very soft, no scratch at all) sweater I got from the Salvation Army for three bucks that's virtually identical in feel, quality and construction to my $85 WoolyWarm merino jersey. Worth cruising through a thrift shop to look; you never know.
A few years ago on a ferry near Seattle, I ran into a couple of people commuting from Bainbridge Island. Both had fenders on their bikes and were wearing ponchos over street clothes; they claimed the fenders block the spray and the poncho blocks the rain, but lets air underneath and keeps you from getting the plastic sweats the way you do with a rain jacket. We don't get much rain here, but I've tried it a little and it seems to work if you don't mind some flappage. Holding the edges of the poncho with your thumbs helps (mine was made for cycling and has thumb loops sewn in.
FWIW, I enjoy riding in the rain. It's a treat here, because we only get six or seven inches a year.
Or Goretex, of course.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Helmet, gloves and cycling shoes. Everything else is optional!

Wait! What was the question again?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'll put in a plug for a traditional cycling cap. The bill will keep some of the rain off your glasses, and it'll keep you a bit warmer too.

+1 to the wool.

It wont keep you totally dry, but a clip on fender like this: https://media.rei.com/media/210522.jpg
will keep your back dryer.

Full fenders/mudguards are the most elegant solution, but if your bike doesn't have braze-ons, then you're sorta SOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.