Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all my years, I have avoided riding in the rain. Next weekend I may have to for the MS150. What minimum gear should I have? I have a normal 'plastic' windbreaker that has a hood that can be stored in the collar. What abuot for hands, feet, etc. etc. Not wanting to spend a lot of money as I will not ride in the rain unless it is something special like the MS150. Any other things I should think about if I am forced to ride in the rain?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Really depends on air temp (not sure where you're riding). If its cool and/or windy, it gets much more serious.

I'd vote for clear glasses. Lots available at Nashbar.com.
Forget the hood, and the plastic windbreaker does not sound like a great choice, either. You'd be better off with a bike-cut rain jacket.. Again, Nashbar (and Performance Bike) have some cheap ones.

If its cool you'll need windproof (maybe with some thin insulations) gloves to keep your fingers from freezing; otherwise normal bike golves will work. Again if cool, some of the "toe caps"-neoprene half-coverings will keep you toes a lot more happy with the cold, wet spray coming off the front wheel.

Finally, a thin cap that will fit under the helmet, preferrably with a short bill, to keep the rain out from dripping down your forehead and off your eyes/ glasses; and to keep the skull from catching a chill.

If warmer, then a tighter-fitting rainjacket; clear glasses, and maybe cap. If really warm the jackt doesn't need to be rainproof, and probably shouldn't be (you'll get sweaty anyway, and just need it to break the wind). Good luck!

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
The temperature and amount of rain matter alot. In warmer conditions with lighter rain it can be just fine to ride in normal bike gear and get wet. You'll need different gear as the tempreture drops and the amount of rain goes up. It also depends on what other gear you have and how much you're wiling to spend for the weekend... We can help if we have more details about your weather forecast.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
cold rain? if not (too cold), I'll go w/ plastic rain jacket w/ arms cut off (those things are like wearing a garbage bag, no breathing) and arm warmers, maybe long-fingered gloves

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Goretex paclite shell. It's the best defense.

Marmot Precip pants.

You're good to go rain or shine. All that stuff can fit in a jersey pocket.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Like people have said, it all depends on the temperature. Where I live, I just ride with my jersey and bibs in the heaviest downpours. On occasion, I'll wear a cycling cap so that less water gets into my eyes.

I always wear shoe covers so that my shoes stay clean from the road grime etc.

That's about all I wear over here. Of course, I do wish I have clear lenses for my Oakley Radar shades since the black ones can be a little too dark in low light conditions.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm of the opinion that staying dry is next to impossible. It's important to instead to stay warm and keep the wind off you.
Depending on the temps a wind proof gillet or jacket with the appropriate layers underneath.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Fenders are just about as important as rain gear. Use SKS RaceBlades or comparable Planet Bike fenders if your frame doesn't have mounts. These clip-on fenders are really nice to have around for occasions when you ride in the rain, and they are easy to install and remove when not needed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
better yet . . .

tarwheel2 said:
Fenders are just about as important as rain gear. Use SKS RaceBlades or comparable Planet Bike fenders if your frame doesn't have mounts. These clip-on fenders are really nice to have around for occasions when you ride in the rain, and they are easy to install and remove when not needed.
. . . bring a spare rear clip-on fender for the guy riding just in front of you!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Windproof gilet, arm warmers, cap to go under your helmet. If you are riding as opposed to pottering along, you will be warm enough.

My top tip is to get an old or even a new pair of socks and put them on over your bike shoes, then cut out a small triangle under your cleats. Keeps your shoes clean and a deflects a surprising amount of spray.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeap, It has all been stated. You will get wet. Regardless of your shoe covers the water will run down your shins and pool in your shoes. Wear wool socks. Fenders are the best thing to have. Then your just dealing with rain not muck off the streets, that is if you can stay out of the riders rooster tail in front of you. Think materials that will keep you warm when wet. If it is warm then just resolve to be wet and enjoy it.

I have been hypothermic on a ride in the 40s when there was no rain in the forecast but there was in reality... it was not a good time.

Ride well

·
Registered
514 Posts
akrafty1 said:
Yeap, It has all been stated. You will get wet. Regardless of your shoe covers the water will run down your shins and pool in your shoes. Wear wool socks. . . .
+1 on the wool (especially "smart" wool). Avoid all cotton, which is less than useless when its soaked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.