Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'd just like to know if anyone here has a minivelo or knows if there are any sellers of minivelo (other than Soma) in the US.

If you have one, would please share with me what are your thoughts in using one.

My appreciation in advance

·
Registered
368 Posts
There's a Mercier-branded minivelo for sale on Bikes Direct for $300.

I can't really see the point. All the harshness of a small-wheeled folder; none of the convenience. Maybe if the frame and fork accepted fatter tires, but then I still couldn't bring myself to ride one in public. I'm 6'4", so I'd land on the higher side of the ridiculous chart. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a Mercier-branded minivelo for sale on Bikes Direct for $300.

I can't really see the point. All the harshness of a small-wheeled folder; none of the convenience. Maybe if the frame and fork accepted fatter tires, but then I still couldn't bring myself to ride one in public. I'm 6'4", so I'd land on the higher side of the ridiculous chart. :)
Yes well, my place is cramped and its going to be hard to get a full sized bike, but thanks for the reply. you have given me some points to think about

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes well, my place is cramped and its going to be hard to get a full sized bike, but thanks for the reply. you have given me some points to think about
I can understand that. My apartment here in Brooklyn is two rooms (not two bedrooms), and the ceiling is so low, I literally have to duck to move between doorways. My wife and I have a one-bike-each limit, but since she's been pregnant, and not riding, I get two right now :)

I think either way, there's a trade-off. You can fit a full-size bike in any house (if your wall is long enough for a bed, you can hang a bike on it), but it all depends on what you're willing to give up (either in storage/living space, or in ride comfort/versatility).

Check out that Mercier, though. Seems like a super easy way to get a minivelo without spending a whole lot.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I've had a nice small wheel folder (bike friday) and I gotta say, harshness was never one of it's ride qualities.

They ride a little squirrely at first- those little wheels are quick- but it takes about a minute to get used to.

The little wheels are pretty awesome for getting in and out of anywhere. I've got a house in the suburbs and even there it was so very easy to get in and out of the house, up and down stairs, whatever. With the little wheels they feel like they're about half the size of a regular bike and with the right gearing they keep up with regular road bikes pretty well.

That Mercier looks pretty cool, though the 12-25 cassette is gonna be pretty low for road riding (decent for riding slower, though) and look on bike friday's site for some much better tires, but otherwise, for $300 it's a pretty nice deal. Love the DT shifters on that bike- very smart and bulletproof.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.