Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Twin Cities is part of the Non Motorized Transportation Pilot Initiative (one of four cities). The goal is to see if money spent on "stuff" will actually change peoples behavior and they will increase their share of biking and walking in their personal transportion choices. As part of the program Bike and Walk census counts are being taken at certain intersections at least twice a year. I've volunteered on two counts, but I couldn't help for this latest round in the Fall of 2008.

The fall bike census counts just came out for Fall 2008.
We're up 29% in the same intersection counts year over year.
The numbers are here for the highly interested:
http://www.tlcminnesota.org/pdf/2008countreportmaps.pdf

Our bike commuting community continues to grow.

Scot

·
Ya, ya I know....
33 Posts
What would happen if they did the counts every Feb 25th?

I know that here in DC we have never seen so many folks commuting in the winter-and this has been a fairly crummy winter for riding.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They would get numbers even in Feb. and I suspect that they would have gone up as well. The official counts, where a volunteer stationed at the intersection counts people has been happening Spring, Summer, and Fall with only Spring and Summer counts being "officially" collected for the program and the summer count for the sake of better data. (I think)

We have two robot counters built into a popular bike freeway, the Midtown Greenway. One is on the East end and the other on the West end. I've heard through the grapevine (local internet chatter) that the robot numbers are up for the early cold months.

We've had some high profile muggings (and high violence) recently on or near the Greenway which may have reduced or diverted some traffic and I've not heard talk of the numbers since early Dec. The muggings happened right around solstice when it got dark by 4:30 and didn't get light again until 8:00, we're back to it being light for most of the prime commute time so hopefully the bad elements are looking for different hunting grounds.

There's plenty of people who ride all year even up here in the frozen north.

I don't ride much in the winter, but I've been getting the bug pretty bad lately and I kept my locker this winter, so I'm getting ready to jump. I need better shoes, and a two hole cleat/pedal investment. So I'm at least $200.00 from having the right gear, and as you say it's the gear, not the weather. You may have seen in my other post, I'm not spending money. If I see some late season Lake boots for a bargain, I'm going to pull the trigger.

Scot

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
..... If I see some late season Lake boots for a bargain, I'm going to pull the trigger.

Scot
I got my Lake winter boots must be at least 6 years ago off-season for 1/2 price. Best money I ever spent. I like and use them so much I'd even pay full retail :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts