Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family and I spent a week on the north shore of Lake Superior over the 4th. Last Sunday I decided to ride from the low point in Minnesota, the surface of Lake Superior (602 ft), to the highest point in Minnesota, Eagle Mountain (2301 ft). I brought the commuter so I'd have the tire width to tolerate the fire roads. Here are some shots, enjoy.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Time to take a left and leave the Lake and begin the climb up the ancient Lake Shore. 12000 years ago the lake dropped @200 feet in a day when a glacier that was holding the water back melted. Lake Superior sits in an even bigger water bowl than it already is, so any movement from the Lake means a climb.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eagle Mountain

Eagle Mountain Trail Head. You can't get a bike to the top, there's no road and it's part of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA), but this is as close as I could get to the highest point.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
That is a pretty cool ride (I love dirt roads!).

Do I see 92km on your trip ticket? That is an amazingly short distance between the states low and high points.

Weather looks nice.

I wanna go!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MB1 said:
That is a pretty cool ride (I love dirt roads!).

Do I see 92km on your trip ticket? That is an amazingly short distance between the states low and high points.

Weather looks nice.

I wanna go!
Thanks, yes 92Km for the entire loop. The GPS ended up reading 58.5 miles for the ride. As the crow flies it's only 12 miles between the surface of Superior and the Peak at Eagle Mountain. An amazingly short distance that I suspect is not repeated in any other state. That's one of the things that made the ride appealing.
Scot

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Are those the famous fire roads that Rivendell/Grant Peterson is always going on about? I've always wondered what a fire road was because we apparently don't have any (many?) in NC.

Nice ride report. A low-to-high in NC would be quite a bit more challenging -- sea level to 6,684' over about 400 miles (one way).

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I loves the North Shore.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I love seeing pictures of the Great Lakes. I've never been there but I like the gorgeoius shoreline shots that the Lake riders take.

Very happy lupine shots! I love flowers this time of year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice. I was camping in St. Croix State Park over the weekend. The best part about riding; the mosquitos can't getcha at 16 MPH.

I've hiked to the summit of Eagle Peak. My wife and I were engaged while staying at the Cascade lodge; you passed it on your way to and from Lutsen I suspect. Cool ride for sure.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JaeBeam said:
Nice. I was camping in St. Croix State Park over the weekend. The best part about riding; the mosquitos can't getcha at 16 MPH.

I've hiked to the summit of Eagle Peak. My wife and I were engaged while staying at the Cascade lodge; you passed it on your way to and from Lutsen I suspect. Cool ride for sure.
Whew....I bet St. Croix State State Park has allot of those blood suckers, it's bad in dry years there (Wild River is even worse). I sat down at the Eagle Peak trail head to have lunch and was swarmed. I had to ride down the road to a nice windy area out on the road before I could eat.

That picture of my bike leaning on the short wall is the the Cascade River pullout off 61. I've got one more ride report left in this trip and maybe a few photos to save for the July photo post.

Scot

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great pictures as always Scot. Looks like it was a fantastic ride. It's been waaaayyy too long since I've been to the North Shore. I swear, you post your ride reports just to torture me. :wink5:

The LHT sure looks sweet. I'm thinking of getting one and your posts always put me closer to pulling the trigger. You definitely put yours to good use!

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Low to high

Scot_Gore said:
Thanks, yes 92Km for the entire loop. The GPS ended up reading 58.5 miles for the ride. As the crow flies it's only 12 miles between the surface of Superior and the Peak at Eagle Mountain. An amazingly short distance that I suspect is not repeated in any other state. That's one of the things that made the ride appealing.
Scot
Cool ride. Beautiful country. Gitchee Gumee has a special mystique.

But as for the shortest low-to-high distance, I think the highest point in Delaware is only about 5 miles from sea level (on the shore of the tidal Delaware River) -- though the elevation is a mere 448 feet, so it almost doesn't count.

And maybe California ought to be mentioned (even though the distance is greater) for the sheer extreme change: It's less than 100 miles from Mt. Whitney's 14,505 feet to Death Valley's minus 282.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Fire roads

tarwheel2 said:
Are those the famous fire roads that Rivendell/Grant Peterson is always going on about? I've always wondered what a fire road was because we apparently don't have any (many?) in NC.

Nice ride report. A low-to-high in NC would be quite a bit more challenging -- sea level to 6,684' over about 400 miles (one way).
I suspect you have lots of fire roads in NC, in the national and state parks and forests. They're just dirt roads, roughly maintained to allow access by firefighters in case of wildfires. They are the original venue for mountain-biking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.