Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Never Give Up!
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Last week I found out that I have two small dry skin patches on my hand. Both next to my knuckle / middle finger... early stages of skin cancer I'm told.

Having surgery Monday to remove the skin and anything below the skin that my be a potential future problem.

I'm ok with the finding's and the surgery becuase it was detected very early. I guess thats all I should be concerned with, but it's not.
What I'm more upset about is that the doc says the recovery of the hand could be up to 4 to 6 weeks. No use of the hand until ok'ed by doc. No Bike riding, no training, no capentry work, no yard work nothing that involves the use of my left hand... nothing!

I'm an active person... always doing something around the house, with the kids, for my wife and for my self.

I have just finished a century ride last weekend and have been looking forward to another one set up in mid September. My only two big rides I set up and look forward to every year. I missed the September ride last year do to real bad head and chest cold, and now I'm going to have to sit this one out again... It seems that its just not ment to be for me to ride this century. :mad:

That's it... just needed to get a little frustration out.... thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
That really sucks. Maybe it would be a good time to start running a little. I don't know if that would mess up your hand or not, but it could give you something fitness oriented to do.

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
There is no such thing as "minor hand surgery". The hand is a very complex piece of anatomy. The risks of surgery is huge. Look up MRSA on the net or Wikipedia.

It is extremely easy to remove skin cancers with a prescription lotion called Aldara. (97% effective, cheaper and way better than surgery) There is no "down time" when using Aldara.

Because you went to a surgeon, they will only recommend surgery. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Yeah, that sucks. Which kind of cancer is it, or do they know yet?

Don't panic yet about the downtime. Healing time depends on extent of cutting, and it may be more superficial, and therefore faster recovery. They said "up to" 4 to 6 weeks. That means 6 weeks at the outside. Could be a lot less.

Good luck.

The old joke: Q: What's "minor surgery"? A: surgery on somebody else.

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
ROAD&DIRT said:
So Last week I found out that I have two small dry skin patches on my hand. Both next to my knuckle / middle finger... early stages of skin cancer I'm told.

Having surgery Monday to remove the skin and anything below the skin that my be a potential future problem.

I'm ok with the finding's and the surgery becuase it was detected very early. I guess thats all I should be concerned with, but it's not.
What I'm more upset about is that the doc says the recovery of the hand could be up to 4 to 6 weeks. No use of the hand until ok'ed by doc. No Bike riding, no training, no capentry work, no yard work nothing that involves the use of my left hand... nothing!

I'm an active person... always doing something around the house, with the kids, for my wife and for my self.

I have just finished a century ride last weekend and have been looking forward to another one set up in mid September. My only two big rides I set up and look forward to every year. I missed the September ride last year do to real bad head and chest cold, and now I'm going to have to sit this one out again... It seems that its just not ment to be for me to ride this century. :mad:

That's it... just needed to get a little frustration out.... thanks!
You probably did not give "Informed Consent" which is required by all doctors. That is, they must tell you, in detail, all the complications as well as all the alternatives to surgery before you can agree to the procedure.

The great thing about using Aldara is that it gets all the cancer cells the doctors cannot see. This is one of the major drawbacks of surgery, is that they can only remove what they can see. Remember that cancer cells are microscopic and even under the microscope they can be difficult to identify. Aldara is painless and takes about 3-4 weeks to complete the task, leaving your hand without even a scar. Call your primary care doctor ASAP and get a prescription called in. It is never too late to postpone surgery.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Sorry to hear of your illness & impending surgery. Follow your doc's orders & you'll heal more quickly with fewer complications. Can you run, walk, hike?

·
Never Give Up!
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JCavilia said:
Yeah, that sucks. Which kind of cancer is it, or do they know yet?
I'm told its the most commen kind "Basal cell carcinoma"

I was informed by the doc and my options. I'm one who doesn't go for the alternitive Meds, so I choose the surgery.

Mr.Versatile said:
Sorry to hear of your illness & impending surgery. Follow your doc's orders & you'll heal more quickly with fewer complications. Can you run, walk, hike?
Yes I can run, walk and hike... but I haven't taken up running since I was a teenager, I do see more walks with the family in my future... I just can't use my left hand/fingers unitl doc give the ok

1 - 7 of 7 Posts