Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a mirror for my touring/nice weather commuting bike. I have bar end shifters and it seems most mirrors are designed to mount there. Are there any good options for mounting them below the hoods for example?

I am not interested in helmet or eye-glass mounted mirrors since they seem to make me cross-eyed.

· Registered
369 Posts
I think OverStuffed has linked you to the one I use. I like it just fine and plan to stick with it. I am the sort who would be looking for a change if I didn't much like what I was using. It is not for those who like the stealth look.

· Registered
369 Posts
It rides securely. The velcro does not present a bother through riding gloves. The only downside I have found with the mirror occurred when I tightend the strap real tight. After awhile I figured out that when the strap was extra tight the Shimano ST shifter had periodic, or sometimes "more than periodic", shift "issues." I loosened the strap and shifting has been as expected since.

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
B&m

fishman473 said:
I'm looking for a mirror for my touring/nice weather commuting bike. I have bar end shifters and it seems most mirrors are designed to mount there. Are there any good options for mounting them below the hoods for example.
Have you considered the Busch & Müller? It costs about twenty bucks, and is available on the Peter White Cycles website. I've seen the mirrors referenced in the previous photo, but thought they would be rather cludgy/bulky under the hand when riding on the hoods. Some had very large metal clamps and velcro that would defeat any ergonomic fit on hand on hood.

The B&M, in contrast, straps around the handlebar directly under the brake/STI lever. It's a bit finicky in that there's a very specific position that allows proper mirror placement, while also allowing unfettered operation of the brake/STI. I found this mirror to be practical and elegant, but then I have a weak spot for well designed german goods...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.