Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If riding is your main transportation you gotta have a beater. Some bike that you are not afraid to take out in any weather, any surface, any time. Something you can take shopping.

So what makes a good beater? Well you want to start out with a good all around frame (likely steel) that will take racks and fenders but not something you care all that much about. Then you want to build it up with scrap stuff you have lying around so you aren't out all that much cash.

So I took this old frame of Miss M's that she had pretty much quit riding and had it resprayed. Then I dug though our old parts bins to come up with a group-the only new stuff was cables, housing (which allowed me to sneak in a little Campy) and bar tape. I added a BOB rear skewer and the thing was done.

This morning we took it out for a test ride. The front derailleur needed a little adjustment and Miss M pronounced it good to go.

We got home and Miss M popped on the BOB and headed off to the local Co-op and I headed to work.

I guess I gave her a good beater after all (I'll add some fenders later).

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Congrats Miss M

WOW, that's a beater? Nice bike, I remember when you posted the paint job the finished product looks great! Glad to hear Miss M likes it.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Yeah MB, a beater that's worth more than my truck. Somehow I don't think so. . .but it sure came out pretty. Nice job!!

·
Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
You are such a sh!t MB. Giving the love of your life such a trashy bike.....geez. Let me take it off her hands, so you can get her something decent.:D

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Hmm, a Rivendell with a Brooks saddle, King headset ... doesn't look like the beaters I see around here. She's a lucky gal.
No, no, Of course it's a beater. Nobody would dare build a main ride with Shimano bits only to use Campy housing. That's just a travesty. Man, talk about a bike nobody wants to steal . . .

·
off the back
15,599 Posts
calling a Rivendell a "beater" is just wrong. :p

is this the same bike, the stove-pipe green that seemed to be her main ride? i'm assuming, until you got the Waterfords.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Ditto. Beaters, by definition, are not allowed to have Chris King headsets. Or be Rivendells.:D

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A Beater is an honorable and useful thing for a bicycle.

Sure our beaters are Rivendells but what is wrong with that? They meet the requirements of a beater; steel frame and fork, comfortable, ability to carry stuff, room for big tires and fenders, and we wouldn't be riding them much if they weren't our beaters.

Good bikes, good beaters and we use them. Sure they don't need fresh paint or Chris King headsets or Paul Brakes or whatever other good stuff we have on them but I work in a shop just to buy stuff like this at cost. On Miss M's new beater it was all used stuff; we already owned it so we might as well use it.

FWIW I am sure Grant would have no problem with how we use our Rivendells.

Ride your bike(s)

·
Registered
369 Posts
MB1 said:
room for big tires and fenders,

What size are the tires on Ms M's "beater?"

And how wide are the rims that support them?

As tires (say 700's) get progressively wider at what points on the way would you say the extra width required a wider rim?

Very nice looking refurbish job. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vettekid said:
What size are the tires on Ms M's "beater?"

And how wide are the rims that support them?

As tires (say 700's) get progressively wider at what points on the way would you say the extra width required a wider rim?

Very nice looking refurbish job. Thanks for sharing.
The frame will accept either 26" or 650C wheels. Tires up to 26X1.5 (the largest 650C tires I know of are 28s. Right now she is running 650x25 on the rear, 650x23 on the front-because that is what we had lying around.

You can install amazingly wide tires on skinny rims if you mount them carefully-you just have to be careful not to run low pressure or corner too hard or you might peel wide tires off skinny rims.

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
MB1 said:
Sure our beaters are Rivendells but what is wrong with that? They meet the requirements of a beater; steel frame and fork, comfortable, ability to carry stuff, room for big tires and fenders, and we wouldn't be riding them much if they weren't our beaters.
That looks like a good bike. "Good beater" is an oxymoran isn't? I know what you mean but you can't be too upset if your beater bike ever gets stolen. Does your beater pass that test?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heck no.

steephill said:
That looks like a good bike. "Good beater" is an oxymoran isn't? I know what you mean but you can't be too upset if your beater bike ever gets stolen. Does your beater pass that test?
And yes, "Good Beater" may be an oxymoran which is why we don't turn our Waterfords into beaters. :eek:

Miss M wasn't using the bike and I wasn't going to throw it away after just 40,000 miles and buy or track down a cheaper setup for a beater. Except for the paint the only thing I bought new for the bike was handlebar tape-figure $10.00 out of pocket for the thing.

BTW I would be very upset if anyone got through the huge, tough locks we habitually use and got any of our bikes. I don't care how good or bad a bike may be I hate bike thieves with a passion.:mad:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.