Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else who races 'seriously' (on an amateur club level) miss just being able to ride hard whenever you want to? During the race season?

Is it odd to feel like I'm sometimes 'doing without' because I race? Like when I have a race coming up soon and it's a fine warm day, I might feel like going out and riding a century around some of my local Cascade Mt. loops, or ripping around with the Saturday bike club hammerheads, yet to do well in the race I have to "taper for the race" (or recover or interval or whatever your proper training plan calls for.) Is that strange, or do others sometimes feel a little deprived? No, not *depraved*..anyone who races a bike has to be a bit depraved.

Training for racing, that helps me justify a lot of time on the bike, etc..but racing also sometimes keeps me off the bike when I'd rather be riding. It'd be really dumb to train hard and long only to diminish your effective performance by, for example, riding a double century the day before the State 40k TT championship....but it is so tempting when someone asks..."Hey, you wanna go ride the.......... today?" and I feel like I'm missing out on a fun ride..for the race.

Weird, huh?
Don Hanson

·
TFI Friday
70 Posts
Yeah, sort of. I got a bit too structured and didn't allow myself some fun MTB rides. In retrospect it's easy to see that the odd off road ride wouldn't hurt, but at the time the plan called for XXX so that's what I did.

Here's the kicker though, towards the end it got too much so I decided to take a break from racing. After a couple of months I really started missing the structured training. I didn't expect that.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I burned-out of racing for a few years I found I, too, missed all the training. I also found that without the race-fitness, going out and riding long and hard for fun became less appealing. Duh!

Right now, though..after my 'off-season' base period, my relatively unstructured winter time "Ride everywhere, ride all the time, never turn down a fun ride, it's all good.." period, it's somewhat .....difficult?...to not have all that freedom to ride. Seems like I am always 'tapering up to a race' or recovering from, or traveling to or eating for...a coming race. I do really like doing the races and I do OK..even surprise myself sometimes. But it's 'character-building' to have to say no to the fun rides sometimes.

Don Hanson

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,431 Posts
Yes and no.
For example, there is a metric century that I usually do on the fourth of July. This year I'm going to skip it because there is an important (to me) Crit, the next day.
On the other hand, Next month, I have another important Crit on a Saturday, and a stoopid 20K TT three hours from where I live on Sunday. On the same day as the TT, there is a nice long metric century. I'm skipping the TT and doing the fun ride.
Happy medium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.