Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I was going for a ride, it was13 degrees, overcast with a 7 mph breeze out of the N.
I got dressed (takes about a fricking 1/2 hour.)

I proceeded down the driveway which is not too bad BUT when I got to the road, it was snow covered (several inches deep with ruts and ice underneath) I got to the end of my road, (1/2 mile) and watched two 4x4 trucks TRYING to get going again.....oh boy....BAD NEWS. I realized it was not a matter of if I was going down, it was a matter of when, where and how many times! This time I turned to come home. I did ride all the way up my driveway, it is in WAY better condition than the roads.

I am a failure

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Nothing worse than cars to rut up and ruin a perfectly fine snow cycling surface... go find a frozen lake to ride on... consistient and smooth... car-free bliss in winter.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
305 Posts
If ICE hots its no riding for me, or even snow! - I weigh it as a risk reward scenario, I stand to loose much more by crashing than missing a session. Luckily Ice doesnt hit much here (Im on the coast) so I sit it out till milder air blows in and thaws it out. If I lived in a region where it ICED all the time..I quit riding for winter and hit the gym with the focus on ME development (Muscular Endurance..)

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I decided I was going for a ride, it was13 degrees, overcast with a 7 mph breeze out of the N.

I proceeded down the driveway which is not too bad BUT when I got to the road, it was snow covered (several inches deep with ruts and ice underneath) I got to the end of my road, (1/2 mile) and watched two 4x4 trucks TRYING to get going again.....oh boy....BAD NEWS. I realized it was not a matter of if I was going down, it was a matter of when, where and how many times! This time I turned to come home. I did ride all the way up my driveway, it is in WAY better condition than the roads.

I am a failure
I wouldn't even tried in those conditions...I just got back from a whopping 30 minute ride...temps in the 30's with a 25mph north wind....brrrrrrrrr. I hate January

·
Frog Whisperer
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the thing is, living so far back in the woods, it is difficult to tell what the real conditions are like.....I suppose I could have walked down the driveway to see what the roads were like. It is supposed to get really cold by early next week, lows well sub-zero and highs in the low single digits with wind chills in the -20 to -40 range. I just wanted to get out and stretch a bit.

edit: the good news is these kenda kross tires are great in the snow (27 x 1 3/8)

edit2: I actually had better traction than the 4x4 trucks seemed to have. Fixed REALLY helps

·
Frog Whisperer
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I have a trainer...I have my langster on it....(I don't take my Bianchi or my Langster out in bad weather...that is reserved for the CrossRoads or the Trek ....(and the Bianchi deserves far better than to sit on a trainer....)

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Wait... there was SNOW... on the actual ROAD???

You should call the city to come take that stuff off, it could be a safety hazard!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BentChainring said:
Wait... there was SNOW... on the actual ROAD???

You should call the city to come take that stuff off, it could be a safety hazard!
City?....the City????? what city?

A plow did come through finally, not sure whan, I might have ridden the way they are now.

A few pictures I just shot.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
no doubt, they would be lined up to sue the Gods................
I remember something about a lady suing God-ski.... She won. The defendant failed to appear in court. She has had issues collecting.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BentChainring said:
I remember something about a lady suing God-ski.... She won. The defendant failed to appear in court. She has had issues collecting.
couldn't hey just garnish his/her wages?

Isn't Ular the norse god of skiing?...that sticks in my mind for some reason

G

·
Touch0Gray said:

I am a failure
I didn't even get out of the driveway.

I looked at the ruts and grooves down the street, about 6 inches deep, like climbing a mountain, or falling off the other side, and of course all in ice ........... I opted for another cup of coffee by the fireplace.

I am the failure.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
no......you is the smart one.......
Im not going to argue with that one since I saw the photo of the driveway!
what compelled you to venture further down to the road and think that it would be somehow better?

Theres optimism.. and then just foolhardiness :D

but unless youre aware of some kind of micro-climate in parts of your land...why man why :p

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
M__E said:
what compelled you to venture further down to the road and think that it would be somehow better?

but unless youre aware of some kind of micro-climate in parts of your land...why man why :p
When you live in Wisconsin, you either ride in the winter or you only ride 4 months out of the year.

It's all good once the studded tires hit the ice.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
M__E said:

yeah......you going somewhere with this?
$1.50 gets it.........he lives in WI too....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you know, spending 3 hours on the tractor moving snow off my driveway at 30 below wind chills is probably not any worse an idea than going for a ride....but I still prefer riding

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
That looks like about what we have here. We're covered with close to a foot of snow. Temps weren't bad at all - low to mid 20s F - but there was no way I was riding anything but the rollers. One of the criteria I have for riding is that the roads have to be clear. OK, scratch that one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts