Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new rider this year in NJ where it has not gotten hot yet. I have a misting bottle that I use to use when walking, playing baseball, jogging. Has anyone used misting bottles when biking? The bottle itself could fit in the cage but they also make misting sacks that you wear on your back as a should harness or around your waist.

·
Registered
595 Posts
lawrence said:
I'm a new rider this year in NJ where it has not gotten hot yet. I have a misting bottle that I use to use when walking, playing baseball, jogging. Has anyone used misting bottles when biking? The bottle itself could fit in the cage but they also make misting sacks that you wear on your back as a should harness or around your waist.
typically, as you ride you receive the natural air conditioning that the wind and your sweat provide. i don't see a mister as being anything more than a way to get even wetter. but to each his own, i suppose.

in texas, the really bad time that the heat is really awful are when the roads are so hot you feel the heat eating at you from beneath. a mister at this point would be nice, as well as being sprayed with a fire hose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No...regular drinking bottles do the trick..just squeeze the water down your back or on top of your helmet...I only use the misting bottles when I have my entourage riding with me...( hahah just a joke)..stick with the reg. water bottles and give a quick squirt over your head when you begin to overheat.

my 2 cents

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
lawrence said:
Not enough, IMO. I need a squirt through the vent holes on my helmet to cool me down. Misting my face just wouldn't cut it.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Dont work for me either......

Down here in the"sand pile" the summers get pretty hot. I normally use two water bottles. One with my favorite 'gatorade' drink, and the other with plain water to squirt in my face, through the helmet vents, douse my shoulders and neck with, etc.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Old tech

lawrence said:
Back in the day, some brands of water bottles came with two tops, attached by a short string of plastic. One top was a "normal" top with a nozzle and plug you could drink through. The other top looked like a large salt shaker - perforated holes so you could spray yourself. In practice, you can do just as good a job with just squirting yourself. Like the other posters, I just hose my face, shoot water through the slots in the helmet, and wet my jersey where appropriate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.