Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the thread below about road rage, I thought it might be a good to post ideas about ways to eliminate the threat of angry drivers. Here are mine:

1) Ride predictably, i.e. no sudden movements.

2) Ride early, especially on the weekend. I like to go out at first light, there's hardly any traffic at 6 am on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
1) Acknowledge that the person is an ***hole and no matter what you do or say, they will still be an ***hole after they drive away. Trying to confront them for their ***holishness only feeds your own frustration. Forget it and ride on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
obey traffic rules

I think blatantly running stop signs and lights really pisses off drivers. We want to be treated like a legitimate vehicle....but then we don't act like one. American drivers, more than any other nationality I've encountered, HATE feeling like someone else is getting one over on them. Not saying you have to put a foot down at every stop sign, but at least wait your turn. For red lights, I at least stop and give the light a chance to change. If it doesn't read my presence (or if I know it never reads my presence), then I'll proceed only when very clear and I've already stopped.

Also, lots of cyclists are very quick to gesture and yell at drivers in response to even little things they don't like. Nobody likes to be the target of someone else's smartness or anger....especially if they feel like they've done nothing wrong. Save the fingers and other salutes.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
i usually smile and wave, especially when a car is honking at me, or has just shouted something. confuses the h€ll out of them :wink:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
magicant said:
1) Acknowledge that the person is an ***hole and no matter what you do or say, they will still be an ***hole after they drive away. Trying to confront them for their ***holishness only feeds your own frustration. Forget it and ride on.
***holishness :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Ya gotta know how to pick your battles. Know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, know when to run.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
***holishness :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was going to suggest ***holiness as the proper term, but, well, that just doesn't sound right. :ihih:

ObTopic: Our city is fairly bike friendly; we even have police doing bicycle patrol during the summer. In the month I've been riding on the road, I've only encountered three drivers with attitude problems.

One was a female minivan warrior who apparently felt the need to beep before passing me and subsequently swerving *over* the white line in to the bike lane right in front of me (and then swerving back and forth over the line for the next half block...weird).

Next was a punk in a slammed mini-truck with kicking bass and crystal clear treble (not) who must not have seen me as his passenger mirror was only about a foot from my handlebars when he passed (and slowed down to glare threateningly).

The third was a woman piloting a giant, white, SUV-ish land barge, four miles outside of town, riding with one tire on either side of the crown, talking on a cell phone with one hand, who took the other hand off the wheel to flip me off (I was going the opposite direction, on the extreme right portion of my lane)...at 05:45. I'm betting my day was much better than hers.

I didn't respond in any of those instances. But when people have gone wide to pass me, or let me go through an intersection on green when they could've easily turned in front of me, I always wave, smile and nod. One such driver, a (semi) truck driver, actually waved and smiled back.

Since I picked up a couple of those 'Love2Pedal' two-for-$45 high-viz yellow jerseys, I haven't had anyone do anything weird. Coincidence? Probably (association does not imply causation). Then again, a friend reported that the jersey is visible from a bit shy of two miles distant (at least in the country on a long incline).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.