Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many people I purchased Ultegra Di2 when it was first released to upgrade my Look 566 and then I bought a second set for my new Cervelo R3 build when that came along.

When Dura Ace 9000 in Di2 was announced I knew I would have to upgrade sooner or later but the price is step, very steep indeed to buy a complete groupset, plus 11 speed wheel set etc.

Around November last year I introduced a friend to riding and loaned him my older Look which he fell in love with and pestered me to sell it to him.

So towards the end of Jan I sold him the Look and used the money to place orders for all the parts I needed to upgrade my Cervelo R3 from Ultegra Di2 to DA Di2 and while the DA C24 11 speed wheels, crankset, chain, cassette etc arrived by the end of Feb, the Front and Rear Derailleurs went on long back order but finally arrived from Wiggle this week.

I'm pleased to confirm that you can happily mix and match electronics between both versions and the interwork just fine, so now I currently have this mix on my Cervelo.

Ultegra Left & Right Levers
Ultegra Handlebar Wiring and adjustment switch box.
Original Ultegra Battery Mount & Battery.
Original Wiring loom and junction box near the BB.
Climbing Shift Buttons under top of the bars (for RD only)
Dura Ace 9070 Di2 Front Derailleur
Dura Ace 9070 Di2 Read Derailleur
Dura Ace 9000 Compact Crank, Chain and Cassette.
Dura Ace 9000 C24 Clinchers

As and when more funds become available I will upgrade to the Dura Ace levers as the are lighter and possibly the internal seat post battery and whatever wiring changes are necessary to use it.

Only thing really missing is weather which is poring down with rain here in Sydney as I sit here writing this when I really want to go out and ride my new toys.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have to do any firmware updates to get this combination to work?
No firmware was upgrades or changes were needed to make this work although the firmware of all my original Ultegra Di2 parts was up to date have been upgraded a month or so ago.

The only requirement to get 11 speeds was to change both front and rear derailleurs together, every thing else from the old 10sd Ultegra Di2 kit works just fine.

Hoot this info helps

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks, I asked because I have both Di2 groups and was trying this to no avail. But I do not have firmware updates.

I also couldn't get the dura ace 9070 di2 working with the old battery mount. I assumed it was because the firmware needed updating. My battery charger is still undelivered so I haven't been able to update it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I asked because I have both Di2 groups and was trying this to no avail. But I do not have firmware updates.

I also couldn't get the dura ace 9070 di2 working with the old battery mount. I assumed it was because the firmware needed updating. My battery charger is still undelivered so I haven't been able to update it.
I know that the battery mount has had two (I think) software upgrades since I originally purchased them but I though these were mainly to address battery discharge issues some users were experiencing though it could be that Shimano also updated for 9070 compatibility at the same time.

You don't need the battery charger to do a software upgrade, just plug the battery mount itself on or off the bike into the PC interface box and check for updated firmware.

Another interesting fact I found out is that the new Multi-shift configuration data is stored in the battery mount itself, found this out while swapping battery mounts around between my Look and Cervelo and the Multi shift moved between bikes.
( I swapped around because I wanted to paint the mount white to match the frame colour)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well time, weather and the gods all came together yesterday morning and I got my first real ride with 11 speed Di2, not the longest but still 65Km was all I needed to know this is a winner for my kind of riding around Sydney with its rolling hills.

My typical ride speed is around 29-31kph on the flat and with a compact crankset and a 10sp DA 12-27 cassette I had an annoying big gap around that speed where one gear was too low and the next just a bit too high but no more, that extra cog makes a big difference.

I opted for the new Shimano Wide-Range cassette, that's 12-28 and runs like this
12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25,28 thus for flat riding I'm mostly in a range where is gear is a single tooth step yet I still have got ratios for hill climbing.

·
Registered
760 Posts
A question for you, other than the extra cog in the back, do you notice any difference in the shifting between the Ultegra and DuraAce dérailleurs?
Is one faster, or quieter, or...?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A question for you, other than the extra cog in the back, do you notice any difference in the shifting between the Ultegra and DuraAce dérailleurs?
Is one faster, or quieter, or...?
I honestly don't think there is any difference in the shifting between speed or quality between Ultegra & Dura, they are both fantastic in that regard, perfect shift every time, front and back.

What is however very noticeable is how much quieter the new DA 9000 groupset is, not so much when actually shifting but when in a gear and just peddling along, it really is quieter, ie less chain to gear tooth noise especially the new 9000 crank/chain rings.

If you search online for Shimano's PR tech video's it seems the totally redesigned hollowtech chain rings now have a filling material which not only adds stiffness but prevents "ringing" of the chain rings leading to a quieter ride, love it :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
What is however very noticeable is how much quieter the new DA 9000 groupset is, not so much when actually shifting but when in a gear and just peddling along, it really is quieter, ie less chain to gear tooth noise especially the new 9000 crank/chain rings.

If you search online for Shimano's PR tech video's it seems the totally redesigned hollowtech chain rings now have a filling material which not only adds stiffness but prevents "ringing" of the chain rings leading to a quieter ride, love it :)
Thanks, hadn't heard of that. I put mechanical DA9000 on my new bike a few months ago, there was a massive difference between that and my mechanical Ultegra bike with respect to smoothness, lightness and ease of shifts etc. Just wondered what difference there would be between two electronic groups from a user experience as all you really "feel" or interact with is the push of a button. I was supposed to get the DA crankset as well but Shimano doesn't sell the 52/36 combo here in Australia (go figure??) so stuck with the S-Works ones which to be honest, do look nicer on the bike in all black, but one day I still may buy online and go with the DA ones to try them out.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was supposed to get the DA crankset as well but Shimano doesn't sell the 52/36 combo here in Australia (go figure??) so stuck with the S-Works ones which to be honest, do look nicer on the bike in all black, but one day I still may buy online and go with the DA ones to try them out.
I just checked, Wiggle have 52/36 in stock, use the power of the Net

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just checked, Wiggle have 52/36 in stock, use the power of the Net
Yrah, i know you can get them off the web, just weird you cant get them in Oz. didnt help me the day the shop was building my bike which is when i dscovered they had the wrong Shimano crank......

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the crankset have to be replaced? or can you use 7900 or ultegra 6700 crankset?
I think there is a good chance you could continue to use the 6700 crank and chainrings though I suspect that the 9000 chainrings are a small amount thinner and have revised lifting pins.

However having now ridden the 9000 for a few weeks now I can honestly say you want to upgrade for the amazing reduction in chain/gear noise, the new 9000 crank os so quiet its amazing and worth it for just that alone.

Apparently the new 9000 hollowtech chainrings have been filled with noise reducing material and it really works!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think there is a good chance you could continue to use the 6700 crank and chainrings though I suspect that the 9000 chainrings are a small amount thinner and have revised lifting pins.

However having now ridden the 9000 for a few weeks now I can honestly say you want to upgrade for the amazing reduction in chain/gear noise, the new 9000 crank os so quiet its amazing and worth it for just that alone.

Apparently the new 9000 hollowtech chainrings have been filled with noise reducing material and it really works!
Thanks for your reply. The new crankset is so freaking expensive. I got to find one used.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your reply. The new crankset is so freaking expensive. I got to find one used.
Actually, while I agree the crankset isn't cheap, the really expensive parts are the new D9070 Levers, make the crank look cheap in comparison which is why I have now upgraded ever other part now but I need a new mortgage to but the levers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Compatibitly

Like many people I purchased Ultegra Di2 when it was first released to upgrade my Look 566 and then I bought a second set for my new Cervelo R3 build when that came along.

When Dura Ace 9000 in Di2 was announced I knew I would have to upgrade sooner or later but the price is step, very steep indeed to buy a complete groupset, plus 11 speed wheel set etc.

Around November last year I introduced a friend to riding and loaned him my older Look which he fell in love with and pestered me to sell it to him.

So towards the end of Jan I sold him the Look and used the money to place orders for all the parts I needed to upgrade my Cervelo R3 from Ultegra Di2 to DA Di2 and while the DA C24 11 speed wheels, crankset, chain, cassette etc arrived by the end of Feb, the Front and Rear Derailleurs went on long back order but finally arrived from Wiggle this week.

I'm pleased to confirm that you can happily mix and match electronics between both versions and the interwork just fine, so now I currently have this mix on my Cervelo.

Ultegra Left & Right Levers
Ultegra Handlebar Wiring and adjustment switch box.
Original Ultegra Battery Mount & Battery.
Original Wiring loom and junction box near the BB.
Climbing Shift Buttons under top of the bars (for RD only)
Dura Ace 9070 Di2 Front Derailleur
Dura Ace 9070 Di2 Read Derailleur
Dura Ace 9000 Compact Crank, Chain and Cassette.
Dura Ace 9000 C24 Clinchers

As and when more funds become available I will upgrade to the Dura Ace levers as the are lighter and possibly the internal seat post battery and whatever wiring changes are necessary to use it.

Only thing really missing is weather which is poring down with rain here in Sydney as I sit here writing this when I really want to go out and ride my new toys.
Hi, great post and glad you're enjoying your group set. With your knowledge could you answer me one question please? The only thing I want to change on my bike is the Shimano R565 chain set to the Dura Ace 9000

Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 HollowTech II 52/38 Tooth Double Road Crankset | Evans Cycles

This is my bike

Trek Madone 4.9 H2 Compact 2013 Road Bike | Evans Cycles

Any help is much appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, great post and glad you're enjoying your group set. With your knowledge could you answer me one question please? The only thing I want to change on my bike is the Shimano R565 chain set to the Dura Ace 9000

Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 HollowTech II 52/38 Tooth Double Road Crankset | Evans Cycles

This is my bike

Trek Madone 4.9 H2 Compact 2013 Road Bike | Evans Cycles

Any help is much appreciated.

Paul
Hi Paul, Most certainly you can install the DA9000 crankset for 10 speed use and enjoy the reduction in weight and noise. I'm no Trek expect so looking the linked bike, I find it kind of strange that Trek would spec the bike Ultegra Di2 but use the R565 crank rather than the nicer and matching Ultegra 6700 Hollowtech crankset, I guess they were trying to save a few pennies somewhere.

Hope your enjoying the faultless shifting Di2 offers, I could not go back to mechanical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks mate,
I have ordered the 53/39 combo. Evans Cycles are fitting it on 9th August. I will report back here on the results. The mechanic said there may be issues but he would fit it as long as I was aware and didn't complain afterwards.

I'm hoping it will be fine!

Cheers

Paul

1 - 20 of 38 Posts