Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Air Force
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a great deal on Chorus 11 shifters because I wanted to see how they felt and haven't been able to sell them for what I want on Ebay. So I think I want to just upgrade to 11. I have a few question though.

What 10 speed stuff is compatible with 11? Could I get away with just ordering rear derailleur, chain and cassette? I have KCNC brakes, Record ultra torque and QS front derailleur that I will carry over and I have the 11 shifters.

Also will Nikon cables work with the the 11 speed shifters?

I have read a few of the treads about where to order from but I was considering maestro-uk but will I be charged any duties or other fees?

Any help would be welcome and thanks in advance.

-Steve

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

All of your questions are answered just down the page, including which parts need to be purchased, several other UK sources (Ribble, Shiny bikes) and tariffs. Whether you get charged a tariff is hit or miss. Some tariffs are unwarranted, but levied anyway and it's your problem to fight them.

Yes, you can order only the chain, cassette and RD, but you need to decide how you are going to join the chain. To install the 11 speed joining pin, you need the new Campy tool. There are other possibilities, like using a SRAM 10 powerloc.

A 10 speed RD will even work with a slight modification.

The Nokon cables have been used, but I'm not sure what's needed to make them fit. The new levers will only accept a 4.1mm or smaller housing, not the larger diameter of the previous ferrule at the cable end. I would just use Campy 11 cables, which should have come with the shifters.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I read through most of the posts on 11 speed but only saw thinks about the crank, shifters and rear derailleur. And I also saw no concrete answers about duties. But thank you for replying.

Another question I had was will the 11 speed cassette fit on White Industries H1 and LTA hubs. On their web site it said that the H2s weren't compatible with 11 speed. Has anyone mounted a 11 speed cassette on a White Industries hub?

Last question that I thought I read about but can't remember. Is there any difference between the 2 different 11 speed chains? Or is it just weight?
Thanks again, Steve

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

The only difference between the chains is weight. Record has hollow pins.

Tariffs are charged by US customs and won't be affected by who you buy from in the UK, UNLESS the seller uses UPS as the shipper. UPS tends to draw more tariff charges compared to packages entering the US at some other port of entry, as sent by Parcel Force, to the USPS.

As for the white hubs, I'd contact them for clarification. Sometimes, all that is needed is a thin .5 or 1mm shim behind the cassette.

Campy made no changes to their hubs so it indicates that not all brands copied Campy's dimensions perfectly. I've installed 11 speed on Fulcrum and Powertap hubs with no problem.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks for all the help but it looks like I'm not going to 11 speed anytime soon.

From White Industries:
"We do not manufacture a hub that is 11 speed compatible. The Campy design
cantilevers the largest cog over the hub shell and our hubs do not have the
room to allow for this new design."

Seeing how my only two wheels use the H1 and LTA hubs, I don't think I will be making the switch anytime soon. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.