Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a frame I want to build, but I am not too sure as to how I want to build it. I want the gearing of a road bike (I already have a Veloce 52/42 crankset) so I'll probably be going with an 8 or 9 speed cassette.

My main dilemma are the bars. On one hand I would like drop bars, but I would want brifters to go with it. These are out of my price range though. Then I thought of a MTB bar, almost straight with a slight bend. With this kind of bar I would want shifter/levers like the Deore XT//LX or Acera shifter/lever.

Can I mix a road derailleur with a MTB shifter? Can I go with a long cage derailleur now in case I decide to go with a triple later on?

I also need a fork for the bike. I would love a carbon fork, but again, they are out of my price range. Any suggestions on a good quality fork (with V-brake mounts) that will allow the use of a 30 or 35 tire. $50 is my price limit. Can I get something for this price?

Thanks for the info,
Ian

· Registered
362 Posts
It may cost you more to put together a bike one part at a time than if you just bought a complete bike used. Flat vs. drop bar is not a trivial decision, yet you are only considering cost. If you want a drop bar, get one, and save money by running some bar-end shifters until you have the scratch to get brifters. With bar-end shifters on friction mode you can use just about any cassette and derailleurs, which may help you assemble an inexpensive bike.

To answer your questions, yes you can use most MTB shifters with most road derailleurs, at least if you stay within a single manufacturer like Shimano. Yes, a long-cage rear derailleur will work even if you don't have a triple crankset. As for a good fork for $50 or less, buy used.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info dyg2001. I think I decided to go with a flat bar and Rapidfire shifters, most likely LX's or XT's.

Can I get these to work with Campy derailleurs? When I was a kid in the 70's, the thing to have was Campagnolo, but as a kid, I couldn't afford them. Now with eBay, I can, so I would like to go with Campagnolo derailleurs, if they will work with Rapidfire shifters. If not, I will probably look for LX, XT, Ultegra or 105's.

As for it being more expensive to build a bike piece by piece, I know it is, but I enjoy it a lot more than the actual riding. Perusing eBay, going to flea markets (after all I got a nice aluminum frame for $20 there), the actual assembly of the bike, etc.

· lung lacking loser
270 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Retail is approx. $165, $190 and $400, respectively.
WTF?!? That's more than ergos! I guess since they can't sell $30 replacement hoods, they have decided to tack it on to the price of the flat bar shifter. Anyway, 10S only so add that in to the mix as well (since you stated 8 or 9 sp).

I've heard of folks mixing Campy Ergo and Shimano derailleurs with some success, but haven't heard anything about the reverse.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
beaker said:
WTF?!? That's more than ergos! I guess since they can't sell $30 replacement hoods, they have decided to tack it on to the price of the flat bar shifter. Anyway, 10S only so add that in to the mix as well (since you stated 8 or 9 sp).

I've heard of folks mixing Campy Ergo and Shimano derailleurs with some success, but haven't heard anything about the reverse.
Approx. $190 for a 10 speed Shimano flat bar shifter and matching levers (R770) and another $40 for the compatible FD. Not sure why these configurations are so expensive.

· Registered
15 Posts
I got NIB campy veloce flatbar shifters/levers off ebay for $130 with the cables included, and that was about 1 month ago. I think I got a pretty good deal on it. They are very nice looking and it is alot cleaner looking than the separate levers and trigger shifters, i.e. Shimano flatbar setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.