Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an unfortunate incident while going around 25-30 mph on a local road where 2 cars passed me in opposite directions and I could not avoid a pothole and had flats on both the wheels.

I use a Shimano Dura Ace C50 wheelset which has an aluminum braking surface with a carbon fairing. On reaching home I noticed that the rear wheel had a dent on the aluminum part where the rim was awkwardly bent inwards. My LBS who is a Shimano authorized repairshop says that it cannot be fixed as there are minor cracks around the dent and that if they bend the dent back it is likely to break or not be strong enough to be considered safe.

So now I am kinda forced to buy a new wheel - and hence my question

Since the C50 wheel has now been replaced by the C60 wheels - apart from looks - are there any pros and cons to having a C60 in the rear and C50 in the front? Would the handling of the bike be odd due to the mismatched wheel types. I guess not - but just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Consider that ENVE uses a shallower wider front rim and a deeper narrower rear rim on their new wheelsets. You should be fine with a mismatched wheelset, or you may want to consider sourcing a replacement rim.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... or you may want to consider sourcing a replacement rim.
The quote given by the LBS to get a rim and transfer the hub/spokes to the new rim + labor costs came to about the same cost as a new wheel - not counting the fact that I could perhaps sell the rear hub from the bent wheel on thee bay.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
No problem. Actually might be a little better because, theoretically anyway, 50 should be a little less prone to cross wind problems as compared to 60 and that doesn't matter in the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts