Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience- good or bad- with using different brands of tires front and back i.e. Conti 4000 front and Michelin Pro Race rear? I've always run matched pairs but am thinking of trying this.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
whc said:
Does anyone have experience- good or bad- with using different brands of tires front and back i.e. Conti 4000 front and Michelin Pro Race rear? I've always run matched pairs but am thinking of trying this.
I think a better combo would be a Pro Race rear and a Pro Light on the front... or maybe a Carbon on the rear and a Pro Race on the front.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Makes NO difference

whc said:
This is unequivocally NOT an issue. Each tire is experiencing its own set of conditions and they don't interact in any way differently than if they were the same brand/model. People mix tires all the time, within brands (different models and/or sizes) and between brands.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mountian bikes not only mix brands, but also mix tread desighns and even tire sizes...

·
Registered
675 Posts
That's not true

Kerry Irons said:
This is unequivocally NOT an issue. Each tire is experiencing its own set of conditions and they don't interact in any way differently than if they were the same brand/model. People mix tires all the time, within brands (different models and/or sizes) and between brands.
There can be some advantages of mixing tires. I run a slightly more flat-resistant rear tire (Specialized Mondo- thicker tread, "flak-jacket" casing) on my race bike with a Pro Race on the front. I've found the Pro Races to corner more predictably in the rain than the Specialized tire, so I run it up front for that reason. I've gotten fewer than average miles (atleast in comparison to others on this board) with running Pro Races on the rear wheel, so I usually put a thicker-treaded tire there.

This year's season has been unusually rainy and the roads really crappy, so I've had to run a heavier, thicker rear tire to lessen my chances of flatting. I rarely run thin, light-weight tires on both wheels unless the conditions are dry and the roads fairly clean. Flats really have a thing for ruining a good race.

As far as the two tires you mention, I'd say it's a toss-up, since on paper they're pretty similar in construction. I know I probably wouldn't notice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts