Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on using the FC-9000 crankset with an Ultegra 6700 front derailleur and 6700 shifter. I would get the Durace front derailleur but do not want to replace shifters at this time. Should this work okay? My ultimate goal is to go with etap next year.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You can mix those, but is there a reason you are shelling out for a super expensive (and really really nice!) Dura Ace 9000 crank, but going with OLD 10s Ultegra?

Wouldn't you be better off with all Ultegra 6800? The front shifting and the brakes are both MUCH improved and the whole group is impressive. Hell,I just bought a full 105 5800 groupset for less than the costs of the 9000 crank. Don't get me wrong, I have one of those cranks on my fancy bike, but if I was trying to do a budge build, I don't think I'd spend all my money on the crank and then use old Ultegra 6700.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
You can mix those, but is there a reason you are shelling out for a super expensive (and really really nice!) Dura Ace 9000 crank, but going with OLD 10s Ultegra?

Wouldn't you be better off with all Ultegra 6800? The front shifting and the brakes are both MUCH improved and the whole group is impressive. Hell,I just bought a full 105 5800 groupset for less than the costs of the 9000 crank. Don't get me wrong, I have one of those cranks on my fancy bike, but if I was trying to do a budge build, I don't think I'd spend all my money on the crank and then use old Ultegra 6700.
^This^ Smart money buys 6800 parts for close to the cost of a 9000 crank. Although the 9000 stuff is probably getting cleared out at below wholesale these days, right? I'd much rather have a new 11 speed set up than just a D/A crank...even if I had to replace my 10spd rr wheel.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bike currently has 6700 Ultegra. Got a good deal on the Dura-ace crankset. Bought it to put a 4iiii dual sided power meter on. Have had a knee replacement and several other knee operations and am really interested in power output from both legs not that I can do much to improve it.
I have a Seven frame and plan on getting etap possibly next year to complete my upgrade. I have to ride with pedal extensions and they are not recommended to be used with carbon cranks so SRAM Red crankset is out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts