Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 512 that I'm putting a slightly better group, brakes, and wheelset on. On it currently is the Exage group - shifters, brakes, crank, and derailleurs. I'm putting a 6sp "light action" derailleurs (better condition, and I'd imagine a step up from the Exage. I'm also putting on some Dia Compe brakes too. The wheels I'm putting on have slightly corroded nipples on the spokes, but they're Araya rims that are considerably lighter than what's on there now. I might also put on a Sugino crankset that was on my current bike.
This is not for me to keep, but to sell or raffle for the MS150, but I do want to do it right. What I'm curious about is the derailleur hanger - it might be bent, but it almost seems that it's supposed to be that way. I've attached a pic, but it is hard to tell, and a crappy pic (used my phone) Sorry for the size!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave Hickey said:
It sure looks bent...any decent LBS can fix that....or since this is an inexpensive project for you, use some vice grips and do it yourself
That's what I plan to do then. Got done cleaning and lubing the derailleur this morning, will clean the frame then straighten it out with a cloth and channel locks.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installed the derailleur just to see if it wasn't some weird design. Sure enough, it's bent alright! No crescent or vice grips, will do what I can when I get the time. I don't want to put any money into it, but it's going to be a bit more work than I intended.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Peanya said:
[...] I'm putting a 6sp "light action" derailleurs [...]
I have a Miyata 512 from 1988 that originally came with an RD-L525 "Light Action" rear derailleur. It once had a breakdown where the RD cut into the rear wheel. Luckily that happened in low speed. When inspecting the RD, I saw that the stud/protrusion that meets the "L" limit screw was broken. So I would be sceptical about using another "Light Action" RD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.