Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I took hold of my MLD (maple leaf design) carbon saddle. It's made in the USA- and it looks like a winner (if your butt fits it). The construction is outstanding. I've now got about 500 miles on it - no strange sounds, no popping, no slipping and, IT FITS MY BUTT!
If you've thought about a carbon saddle and the toupe or kit carbonio flow have worked for you, this might be the right saddle-- remember- its still a very personal thing-- maybe yes, maybe no- but this adds to the list of possibilities.

Comes in 2 widths (130 and 144 - I think) and 2 weight limits -187lbs (mine) and 220lbs.

Its supposed to be based on specialized's toupe, but I came from using a selle italia slr kit carbonio flow (w/ cutout- pic on scale).
I did borrow a friend's toupe for a few rides before ordering the MLD, and that was working out ok as well.
I've done rides various rides over the past 2 weeks- w/ this saddle the longest ones have been 70, 70 and 107. After 2 or 3 rides of getting the setup and position tweaked, its been as comfy as my previous saddle. I ride on some crappy roads as well (dutchess county, NY- litchfield county, CT)- the 107 mile ride included some lovely stretches where the road was razed for repaving and included a climb of Mt. Washington, MA- which is just god awful in many places.
Only complaint was the underside of the saddle is not clearcoated and smooth (like the top) and the edges were roughing up my shorts- liquid electric tape solves that problem easily. Other than that, the shorts I've used on this saddle are:

Giordana tenax and max bibs (3D-OF pad)
Assos F1-Uno
DeMarchi Contour Plus
Castelli Cattivo (kiss pad)

The assos is definitely better for the longer rides, although the demarchi and giordana have held up well on 70 mile rides--
I've only been disappointed w/ the castelli chamois, although this may be a personal thing as I find the pad does not provide enough coverage .

Other saddles I've used (besides those mentioned)--
Forte (performance bike) Pro (the 197g claimed w/ cutout)- used successfully
Selle San Marco Magma Mg (the silver one w/ no padding)-- DID NOT WORK FOR ME! Hurt like hell!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to let you know-- still riding on it- just did a 70 mile ride today on some really abysmal roads- still no issues-- I've found another pair of bib shorts I really like w/ these though-- louis garneau ergotex 2.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh oh-

Ok- have to report the bad w/ the good-- just sent the saddle back today for replacement--
the pics will show what the rails looked like-- I went to adjust the seatpost clamp bolts and noticed the bolts were starting to contact the saddle underside-- this hadnt happened before-- then I looked at the saddle rails. See pics......

my understanding is this should not have happened (not a common occurence) and replacement should be quick. In the meantime I still have the kit carbonio flow to use.

FYI-- I'm barely 150lbs at this point, saddle was mounted on ax-lightness daedalus post and bolts were tightened to 6 newton meters..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
another quick update-- jason at FWB told me the designer of the saddle saw the pics and said it must have been a problem w/ the resin in the rails. Something that hasnt come up before.
should have a replacement shortly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,501 Posts
I love being right! My first thought seeing the original pictures was those rails are not adequate to the task. Tune/Becker, AX and others use protective wrapping of some kind and also larger diameters on their rails (and still sometimes break).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,243 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
another quick update-- jason at FWB told me the designer of the saddle saw the pics and said it must have been a problem w/ the resin in the rails. Something that hasnt come up before.
should have a replacement shortly
I don't know how much I'd trust that Jason fellow. It's likely he's a buddy buggerer and violator of small woodland creatures. That's what you get for not shopping at Nashbar or Performance Bike.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,243 Posts
terzo rene said:
I love being right! My first thought seeing the original pictures was those rails are not adequate to the task. Tune/Becker, AX and others use protective wrapping of some kind and also larger diameters on their rails (and still sometimes break).
Well. Obviously. Clearly you can tell everthing about a component just by looking at it from the outside.:rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
terzo rene said:
I love being right! My first thought seeing the original pictures was those rails are not adequate to the task. Tune/Becker, AX and others use protective wrapping of some kind and also larger diameters on their rails (and still sometimes break).

I guess you'd be the holy master of carbon rails. Last I heard it seems mine were a fluke. I've also heard of a test done where they mounted this type saddle on an ax-lightness seatpost and went at it w/ the torque wrench. At 9Nm the bolt snapped off- nothing but a small indent on the rails-- but I'm sure you're right and I've wasted my money.

maybe tonite I'll even lose some sleep over this. maybe. nah.
 

·
Cyclocross fool
Joined
·
448 Posts
Forrest Root said:
I don't know how much I'd trust that Jason fellow. It's likely he's a buddy buggerer and violator of small woodland creatures. That's what you get for not shopping at Nashbar or Performance Bike.
seems to me that if he's likely a buddy buggerer, you're likely a buggeree, no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,501 Posts
Yes you can tell something about a component by looking at it. 1" thick steel is stronger than 0.5", and small diameter solid carbon rails of the same material are weaker than larger diameter ones - unless you believe that the MLD guys have discovered some magic pixie dust that allows them to override physics.

Sure it might hold up fine but in carbon saddles weight is king and when the competition is all using more material in that area and sacrificing weight loss you have to wonder about the engineering that has gone into the product or the tradeoffs they chose. When even limited road testing would have highlighted the need for smooth edges to protect your $300 shorts, it doesn't exactly make me confident they've done much.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
terzo rene said:
Yes you can tell something about a component by looking at it. 1" thick steel is stronger than 0.5", and small diameter solid carbon rails of the same material are weaker than larger diameter ones - unless you believe that the MLD guys have discovered some magic pixie dust that allows them to override physics.

Sure it might hold up fine but in carbon saddles weight is king and when the competition is all using more material in that area and sacrificing weight loss you have to wonder about the engineering that has gone into the product or the tradeoffs they chose. When even limited road testing would have highlighted the need for smooth edges to protect your $300 shorts, it doesn't exactly make me confident they've done much.

Ummm, I dont own $300 shorts- I blew all my money on this inferior carbon saddle :cryin:
:idea:

again- my understanding is when there is not problem w/ the resin, these rails are supposed to be the strongest part of the saddle.
I'm not going to argue about this-- I'm going to get my replacement and see what happens and then come back and post. you keep looking though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
What I can't understand is why in the world you would spend $350 for the SSM Magma Mg (130g) when you can get an SLR Kit Carbonio (125g) for $200? Considering that the SLR actually has PADDING?

When I first saw the Magma Mg and its price/weight I couldn't understand why anyone would buy it.

Unless the only reason is to add a big shiny piece of polished magnesium to your bike?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alexedge said:
What I can't understand is why in the world you would spend $350 for the SSM Magma Mg (130g) when you can get an SLR Kit Carbonio (125g) for $200? Considering that the SLR actually has PADDING?

When I first saw the Magma Mg and its price/weight I couldn't understand why anyone would buy it.

Unless the only reason is to add a big shiny piece of polished magnesium to your bike?

Either I'm a little confused or you're a little confused, because I never paid $350 for anything mentioned.

I had a magma mg- that cost 149.99. It was horrible- fortunately, the shop I bought it from allowed me to return it-- I then purchased the slr kit carbonio- I paid $160 for mine- I used that until I got my MLD saddle- that's the $350 one.
As for the padding- I'm actually using my kit carbonio until my replacement MLD gets here (any day now)-- the MLD fits my butt better and is more comfy w/ no padding-- trust me, I know-- doing a 107 mile ride in 95 degree temps will be a pretty good test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
Either I'm a little confused or you're a little confused, because I never paid $350 for anything mentioned.

I had a magma mg- that cost 149.99. It was horrible- fortunately, the shop I bought it from allowed me to return it-- I then purchased the slr kit carbonio- I paid $160 for mine- I used that until I got my MLD saddle- that's the $350 one.
As for the padding- I'm actually using my kit carbonio until my replacement MLD gets here (any day now)-- the MLD fits my butt better and is more comfy w/ no padding-- trust me, I know-- doing a 107 mile ride in 95 degree temps will be a pretty good test.
Wow, ok, your LBS must have really awesome sales, since MSRP on that saddle is $350.00, so you got 50% on a brand-new model! Do they have a website (your LBS)?

And yeah, I understand some bare (unpadded) seats are quite comfortable, I'm riding one. I mainly just didn't understand why you would pay twice as much for a seat thats not any lighter. But apparently you didn't...
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top