Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Atom B
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...absolutely amazing!

Back on the bike just 10 days after double inguinal hernia surgery (laparoscopy). Took things gingerly for first 5 miles, felt good. Took it up to 20 mph for next 15 miles, felt good. No issues morning after. I didn't expect such a fast recovery.

Anyone have any post surgery cycling experiences?

·
Atom B
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MerlinAma said:
What were your symptoms? How did you know you had a problem?
A couple months ago I noticed 2 small bulges on equal sides of my extreme lower abdomen. I just assumed since I had lost ~15 lbs over the past year, that this is how my abdominals are developed - kind of like an 8-pack (wrong!). Then a few weeks ago, the right side bulge all of a sudden bulged out a little further, and felt odd. So, I had it taken care of immediately.

The surgeon was convinced it was caused by cycling. I'm sort of on the fence about that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had one about 6 years ago. Mine healed up really well, but I wasn't about to try riding that soon on it. I took it easy to make sure I didn't cause a reoccurrence. As a cyclist, you're probably in the group of people that will heal quickly from hernia surgery (low bodyfat makes the surury easy, and following good 'recovery principles' helps with the healing)

I would doubt that your hernia was from cycling. Unless maybe you push super huge gears up a hill, ride awkwardly, hold your breath, had a funny crash, etc... Or, if cycling is the ONLY high-exertion thing you do, then yeah in that case maybe. (Your doctor would know better than me though)

iliveonnitro is close -- In many (most) cases, a man gets a high change of having an inguinal hernia due to late or slightly abnormal testicle descent while developing in the womb. When your testicles descend, they go through the abdominal wall. If they descend later than normal, or there is some abnormality, the abdominal wall (muscles) may not close back up normally, thus the high likelihood of a 'blowout'.

·
Atom B
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iliveonnitro said:
A friend of mine, who is a cyclist, just had this done.

He says it was genetic...but i don't know anything about this.
Maybe so? Both my Dad and brother had double inguinal hernias. I figured I was predisposed. Surgeon didn't see that as compelling.

Infini said:
I would doubt that your hernia was from cycling. Unless maybe you push super huge gears up a hill, ride awkwardly, hold your breath, had a funny crash, etc... Or, if cycling is the ONLY high-exertion thing you do, then yeah in that case maybe.
I do usually climb out of the saddle, but not in any huge gears. Everywhere else I'm spinning, never mashing. No awkward riding - I believe my fit is close to spot on. I don't know if you consider moderate resistance training and core exercises as high-exertion? If not, then cycling is the ONLY high-exertion thing I do.

·
Atom B
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had my follow-up with the surgeon today. Absolutely no restrictions, not even weight lifting. I'm looking forward to another ride tomorrow.

·
Registered
487 Posts
bicicletă said:
Maybe so? Both my Dad and brother had double inguinal hernias. I figured I was predisposed. Surgeon didn't see that as compelling.

I do usually climb out of the saddle, but not in any huge gears. Everywhere else I'm spinning, never mashing. No awkward riding - I believe my fit is close to spot on. I don't know if you consider moderate resistance training and core exercises as high-exertion? If not, then cycling is the ONLY high-exertion thing I do.
I think I got my hernia while doing hang cleans... Definitely not moderate.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
laprocopic?

had sports hernia surgery last summer (not an actual hernia, but an abdominal muscle tearing away from the pubic bone), and fo rthe first mont, no resistace training, but the surgeon encouraged cycling for recovery as soon as I felt up to it. this was with laproscopic, which historically has way less recovery time, but only 2 surgeons in the state did that surgery lapro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.