Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Modifying the Vertical Drops on a FG

I have a TREK that I converted to a FG.
I run a very low gear: 42T x 18T = 63
I wish to continue this gear, but it requires a Half-Link for Chain Tension.
I would like to get rid of the Half-Link, and I don't like using a 43T Chainring which does allow a solid chain and no Half-Link.

I only need about 1/8-3/16" of additional axle movement

Has anyone had success with modifying their vertical drops(drilling/grinding) to gain more room for axle?

· Registered
868 Posts
A few years ago, I read a post of a guy that modified a Trimble mountain bike on MTBR.com to fit a single speed and he said it worked. I just went to the site but I couldn't find the original post. I think he used a Dremel to modify the drop outs.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Just out of curiousity, since I may want to use one some day, why do you want to get rid of the half link? Have you had some kind of problem with it?

· Cumudgitude
711 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but I'd go at it with a sharp round file. If the drops are indeed aluminum and you decide to go for a dremel I'd suggest using a carbide bur rather than a stone.

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JCavilia said:
Just out of curiousity, since I may want to use one some day, why do you want to get rid of the half link? Have you had some kind of problem with it?
JCavilia;
I have used the Half-Link buy KMC. It works great and never had a problem with one.
I have used one on Shimano 8 & 9-Speed Chains.
The long Pin that comes with the link is fine. Sometimes the Shimano Pin can be a little short to mount the other side, and I have used a longer 1/8-Chain Pin.

john

· Registered
14,776 Posts
I see, thanks

jmlapoint said:
JCavilia;
I have used the Half-Link buy KMC. It works great and never had a problem with one.
I have used one on Shimano 8 & 9-Speed Chains.
The long Pin that comes with the link is fine. Sometimes the Shimano Pin can be a little short to mount the other side, and I have used a longer 1/8-Chain Pin.

john
I generally use cheap 6-7-8 speed chains on my fixies. I suspect the half-links work better with those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.