Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange experience tonight on the subway. Got on as usual with my book. Take it five stops, pretty routine.

I happened to look up when I got to the third stop. Looked out the window across the way and it looked like stop #7, two past where I get off. :confused:

Naahhh I'm seeing things, I thought. The announcer was no help, heard a garbled noise through static. I'm sure the next stop is #4.....

Nope, pulled in to stop #8, got off, crossed the platform and headed back to where I needed to be. Had to get the next train.

This is really weird. I wasn't asleep, was reading the whole time, but I do this every day. Don't think I read much further ahead than normal; if I had fallen asleep, my head would've nodded......I never fall asleep in public. If I nod off in the car, my mouth falls open and that wakes me up.

Haven't been drinking, haven't taken any meds lately, can't figure out wtf happened. I did have a good workout this afternoon on the gym bike, fairly intense, but only 30min.

Didn't hear any announcements about the train skipping stops....... honestly, it was like stop #7 just replaced stop #3, that simple.

Anyway. Curious if anybody has had a similar experience.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
[cue the rod serling voice]

you wait for your stop with the key of imagination.
beyond it is the wrong stop -
a stop of unknowns, strange signs, odd sounds.
yet you're engrossed in a book of substance, of things and ideas...

you've just crossed over into ... the wrong stop on the subway zone.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[cue the rod serling voice]
you've just crossed over into ... the wrong stop on the subway zone.
I'm still trying to shake off the weirdness of this. Even while reading, I'll hear each stop's announcements, and even if they don't make much sense, I can still tell where I am.

At least four years on this route, and even when I've been close to napping, or engrossed in reading (which is often), I never fall asleep or lose track of the stops. :eek:ut:

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Missing Time??? I'm guessing alien abduction...

I would make a joke about probing, but I is a gentleman...

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Yup, on BART heading to San Francisco - didn't even realize we had already gone through the tunnel under the bay. Had to back track to get to where I needed to be.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Seriously, though... there's a kind of hypnosis that can affect drivers this way, maybe the train ride did something similar?

·
half-fast
7,389 Posts
I do that driving, and sometimes, when I snap out of the autopilot, I have no idea where the hell I am.

I think it is probably a sign we are all going nuts.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Strange experience tonight on the subway. Got on as usual with my book. Take it five stops, pretty routine.

I happened to look up when I got to the third stop. Looked out the window across the way and it looked like stop #7, two past where I get off. :confused:

Naahhh I'm seeing things, I thought. The announcer was no help, heard a garbled noise through static. I'm sure the next stop is #4.....

Nope, pulled in to stop #8, got off, crossed the platform and headed back to where I needed to be. Had to get the next train.

This is really weird. I wasn't asleep, was reading the whole time, but I do this every day. Don't think I read much further ahead than normal; if I had fallen asleep, my head would've nodded......I never fall asleep in public. If I nod off in the car, my mouth falls open and that wakes me up.

Haven't been drinking, haven't taken any meds lately, can't figure out wtf happened. I did have a good workout this afternoon on the gym bike, fairly intense, but only 30min.

Didn't hear any announcements about the train skipping stops....... honestly, it was like stop #7 just replaced stop #3, that simple.

Anyway. Curious if anybody has had a similar experience.
Used to happen to me all the time when I'd take a local R train heading from Queens to the Village. I'd read or study and sort of fall in/out of a sleep/book haze. Never missed my stop but came close pretty often. The sound of a relatively quiet train can be monotonous white noise and slighly hypnotizing.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I've passed my stop on the Metro a few times while really into a crossword puzzle. Got off a stop early once too. I was so into the puzzle and heard them announce the next stop, mine, and just ran for the doors.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
That kind of thing has happened to me a bunch, actually. Driven past the house once or twice. Showed up at a store and only to think, "WTF did I even come here for?"

Then there were the REAL big ones. I used to walk around barefoot all the time from childhood into my late 20s. One day I was walking through the K-Mart and realized that the floor felt nice. Wait a minute, why do I feel the floor. Oops, forgot shoes.

Just this summer I found myself outside of a venue after a Widespread Panic show - all of a sudden, like waking from a dream. Bang, wow, how/when did I get outside? I had to call my friends and describe where I was because there was NO way I was finding the hotel by myself. We all agree that those were INDEED special brownies.

YMMV

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I think you're overstating the weirdness of it. What was the book? I'd call this experience a very positive review ;-)

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Missing one stop is nothing unusual, still rare but that doesn't worry me.

I went through two major hubs during rush hour last night, where the train gets extremely crowded for stops 3-6, and don't recall any difference.

The book is a bit like a textbook, and if it held my attention, it's b/c I have to focus and re-read parts so it doesn't lose me.

Seeing a post from Snap isn't helping things :lol:

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I thought alien abduction at first too, but there was no mention of rectal probing, so we can rule that out

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Might be age related, but don't think so in your case as you're not into you 50's yet, I don't think (just my impression).

I get spacey all the time. Stepped out of the pool workout one day, stepped into my flip flops, went and showered, went home, went to pool the next day, stepped into flip flops in dressing room and when I got to the pool side saw an EXACT pair of my flip flops on the pool deck. Looked down at what were on my feet, saw "Speedo" in big white letters. My flip flops were there on the deck in front of me with the Under Armor logo on them. I took somebody else's sandals and never even noticed.

Another workout I packed all my clothes in a locker, deposited 2 quarters, went and swam, came back and showered and as I opened the locker with the key MY CLOTHES WERE GONE !, stolen from a locked locker. Then I opened up the locker next to the one I had the key too, the locker with the key still in it and there were my clothes.

Space cadet time and I know it's cause I'm officially a senior citizen.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I suspect that you passed thru a rift in time. You are lucky that you didn't end up in 2647, after the Robot insurrection.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I suspect that you passed thru a rift in time. You are lucky that you didn't end up in 2647, after the Robot insurrection.
Oh I missed that dammit!! Not for lack of trying- this morning, I bypassed my destination by one stop :blush2:

Had put my book away, and consciously said, "okay next stop......" and for whatever reason my stop was replaced with the following one. BUT I did take half a melatonin last night and overslept, so I'm a bit groggy today.

Reading the other stories (like dir-t's experiences!) is making me feel a bit more "normal" though :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.