Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting an Italian steel frame for a while. I can get a new original Mondonico made by Antonio, or a Pegoretti. Two different bikes, one classic with the smaller head tube and chrome chainstay or a more modern Pegoretti. Any suggestions/recommendations? Would these ride much differently though it may depend on tubeset to some degree? Both frames would fit fine.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Aspen said:
Been wanting an Italian steel frame for a while. I can get a new original Mondonico made by Antonio, or a Pegoretti. Two different bikes, one classic with the smaller head tube and chrome chainstay or a more modern Pegoretti. Any suggestions/recommendations? Would these ride much differently though it may depend on tubeset to some degree? Both frames would fit fine.
Well, I think I would personally choose a Pego, but then again, one of those is my dream bike. If you want the more "traditional" italian steel, go with the Mondonico, either way you don't lose.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Aspen said:
If you can get a new original Mondonico Futura Leggero made by Antonio, then IMO, that's what you should do. More than likely, he will never make more bikes and the Mondonico's now being built aren't built the same as they once were. From day one you'll have a bike that is, in essence, unattainable.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Which Pegoretti? A Luigano (sp) is a lugged steel with a steel fork that would be comparable to a Mondonico. A Mondonico versus a Marcelo, Duende, or BLE wouldn't be a good comparison. IMHO, the Pegoretti will have better paint.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Wait a minute. You've just joined, posted another thread about whether you should sell your Mondonico, and then dredge up this three year old thread telling the guy to go for a Mondonico?

I don't get it. If they're the end-all be-all, why would you want to sell yours?
Good catch Rufus!!! I totally missed that this is a 3 yr old thread! I still say Mondonico over a Peg. Pegs are still awesome though.

·
Vintage bike and rider
166 Posts
Ok, it's now 2011, and Antonio Mondonico went on his last sales/fitting tour in 2005. He was going to stop taking orders after that trip, but would finish building the frames he took orders for. Now, 6 years later, one would presume he has done so. My conclusion is, as of now, he probably isn't building any frames himself.

Torelli on its site does not have much to say about Mondonico any more, and Chairman Bill is no longer the owner. Smart Cycles still shows their "About Mondonico" article, which explains this event and claims build are being done by the Taverna brothers of Lombardi under supervision of Mauro Mondonico, son of Antonio. Apparently Mauro is not building? I don't know anything about the Tavernas. The tone of the article is that Antonio just now retired, so I wouldn't assume this information is current.

If you buy or have bought the recent Mondonico, please post your impressions.

·
Banned
117 Posts
If what you seek is an Italian lugged steel frame, then you should also be looking at the De Rosa Neo Primato. I have a Pegoretti Luigino, and love it. Were I looking for another bike today, to add to the list, I would likely get a Neo Primato.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.