Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with Mondonico? Looks like they have a Pista in the U.S., unfinished. Could be finished with custom paint and chroming in 4 to 6 weeks. Said the tubing is Columbus Life, which I'm not familiar with.

It's either that or a stock Colnago Master Pista in black. I'm stumped.

Thanks.

·
Making memories
285 Posts
Mondonicos are awesome

I have owned a Mondonico road bike for 9 years now and it is truly a pleasure to ride. Top notch quality. Fantastic performance. One of the great Italian master artisans. Retired in 05, I think, although the name continues.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Mondonicos are one of the premier Italian frames. Torelli is the US importer. They import the bare frames and paint them here. Quality of finish is supposed to be outstanding.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
I thought that Mondonicos are now built by someone different than they have historically been. My local shop guy told me that, but I forget the details.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
The "old man" Mondonico either retired or died, but I am pretty sure they are still being made in the same shop. I doubt if much has changed, but you could contact Torelli if curious.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Fixed said:
Anyone familiar with Mondonico? Looks like they have a Pista in the U.S., unfinished. Could be finished with custom paint and chroming in 4 to 6 weeks. Said the tubing is Columbus Life, which I'm not familiar with.

It's either that or a stock Colnago Master Pista in black. I'm stumped.

Thanks.
have only heard good things.....FWIW The Bike Nook in S.F. carries them (or did awhile back anyway) and is an excellent shop

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
The "old man" Mondonico either retired or died, but I am pretty sure they are still being made in the same shop.
Antonio Mondonico did a national tour, measuring folks for his last set of frames in 2005 before retiring. According to Torelli's page, Mauro (Antonio's son) is currently doing the building.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
went with it

Hawkeyenfo said:
Outstanding bikes!!! Mauro is building them now, there is a lot of the Mondonico History on Torelli's website.
Have a Mondonico Pista on the way (in Italian terms, I suppose). Apparently it's in Santa Barbara waiting for paint and chroming. Going with a Molteni scheme, chromed head lugs and 3/4 chrome stays. Columbus Life tubing. Chromed fork. 4-6 weeks. Will build up with large flange Campy Pista hubs, Araya tubular rims, Campy Record Pista cranks. Hurry up and wait, now.

By the way, I saw that a place out of Chicago is selling new Colnago Master Pista framesets for $2000 on an ebay store.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Fixed said:
Have a Mondonico Pista on the way (in Italian terms, I suppose). Apparently it's in Santa Barbara waiting for paint and chroming. Going with a Molteni scheme, chromed head lugs and 3/4 chrome stays. Columbus Life tubing. Chromed fork. 4-6 weeks. Will build up with large flange Campy Pista hubs, Araya tubular rims, Campy Record Pista cranks. Hurry up and wait, now.

By the way, I saw that a place out of Chicago is selling new Colnago Master Pista framesets for $2000 on an ebay store.
I can't wait to see this....How long did they say?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Fixed said:

araya rims? I thought this was an all-Italian affair?

pretty sweet guerciotti record on the big e as well... red... in Hickey's size

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks

FatTireFred said:
araya rims? I thought this was an all-Italian affair?

pretty sweet guerciotti record on the big e as well... red... in Hickey's size
The Araya 16B Gold is a low profile, highly polished tubular rim, very classic looking (and light). Can't find anything Italian comparable. Been using them on my Bianchi Pista for 5 years.

LBS said 4-6 weeks.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
asterisk said:
If you can stomach a darker color rim look for some Ambrosio Nemesis rims.
I looked at those, but I'm really going for the bright polished look. I can't even find any NOS Italian rims that have that look. Plus, the Araya's have served me very well on my Pista, even at 335 grams and 32 spokes with extremely hard cranking up monster hills and double centuries.

Funny thing is that many of the Japanese products actually look more like the classic Italian products than the current Italian products do. Nitto pretty much has it nailed. Sugino, and a few others I suppose.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Fixed said:
Funny thing is that many of the Japanese products actually look more like the classic Italian products than the current Italian products do. Nitto pretty much has it nailed. Sugino, and a few others I suppose.
The Japanese have certainly been carrying the torch for retro styled components....nobody else seems to....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.