Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
German ZDF is reporting that the TDF has a very limited budget for doping tests, and that they can only afford to run 180-200 tests for the entire tour. What is up with that? I say they get a papal account and a web page, I'll toss in a few bucks myself so they can test every rider.

·
Banned
608 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
Aren't doping tests about 350 bucks a pop? $70,000 isn't cheap...

Or is it 350 euros? That would make it even worse.
Some of the testing is more like $500. That has always been a problem with dope testing in cycling. There is not a lot of money in the sport, so it is hard to do the amount of testing that would be effective.

If they want to be serious about fighting doping then the ProTour replacement being discussed should require around 250K euros per team to be paid yearly into an anti-doping fund. That would be enough to test most riders an average of every two weeks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If the riders want to race - they should have to pay for their own dope test. I don't actually agree with what I've just said.... just saying.

j

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
DrSmile said:
German ZDF is reporting that the TDF has a very limited budget for doping tests, and that they can only afford to run 180-200 tests for the entire tour. What is up with that? I say they get a papal account and a web page, I'll toss in a few bucks myself so they can test every rider.
The TDF is a for-profit enterprise, and rakes in TONS of cash, so if they are shorting drug testing to boost profits, that's their choice. The ASO is not going bankrupt any time soon, so they don't need any donations, and forward any complaints to them. Running 180-200 tests seems low to me, but as long as they are the right tests and they target the right people, they should be pretty effective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.