Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Woohoo, gives new meaning to the word "fat bike".

Close to 1900lbs? Wonder how that'll do on a hilly course... :D

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Woohoo, gives new meaning to the word "fat bike".

Close to 1900lbs? Wonder how that'll do on a hilly course... :D
I think my fat bike is only a little lighter than that?

·
Registered
916 Posts
While he is riding slowly, the thing stays upright simply because the tires have wide flat contact profile. It stands by itself. I.e. in that regard this vehicle is fundamentally different from a traditional bicycle or motorcycle.

Also, while he's riding slowly, the steering of this vehicle is basically "car-like": it simply goes wherever the front wheel points and, again, relies on the wide tire profile not to tip over. No lean required. This too is fundamentally different from a traditional bicycle or motorcycle.

(It actually looks like he intentionally "shaved" the tire tread to give the tire that wide flat contact profile.)

Which makes me wonder: what will happen if he tried to ride this bike fast? Like try riding it downhill and let it accelerate to a substantial speed (where the tire profile is no longer sufficient to counteract lateral forces). Will he be able to balance and steer this thing using the traditional counter-steering principle? In other words, will this wide and flat tire profile interfere with counter-steering to the point where this thing will become uncontrollable?

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While he is riding slowly, the thing stays upright simply because the tires have wide flat contact profile. I.e. in that regard this vehicle is fundamentally different from a traditional bicycle or motorcycle.

Also, while he's riding slowly, the steering of this vehicle is basically "car-like": it simply goes wherever the front wheel points and, again, relies on the wide tire profile not to tip over. This too is fundamentally different from a traditional bicycle or motorcycle.

(It actually looks like he intentionally "shaved" the tire threads to give the tire that wide flat contact profile.)

Which makes me wonder: what will happen if he tried to ride this bike fast? Like try riding it downhill and let it accelerate to a substantial speed (where the tire profile is no longer sufficient to counteract lateral forces). Will he be able to balance and steer this thing using the traditional counter-steering principle? In other words, will this "flat" tire profile interfere with counter-steering to the point where this thing will become uncontrollable?
He'd crash and burn.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
While he is riding slowly, the thing stays upright simply because the tires have wide flat contact profile. It stands by itself. I.e. in that regard this vehicle is fundamentally different from a traditional bicycle or motorcycle.

Also, while he's riding slowly, the steering of this vehicle is basically "car-like": it simply goes wherever the front wheel points and, again, relies on the wide tire profile not to tip over. No lean required. This too is fundamentally different from a traditional bicycle or motorcycle.

(It actually looks like he intentionally "shaved" the tire tread to give the tire that wide flat contact profile.)

Which makes me wonder: what will happen if he tried to ride this bike fast? Like try riding it downhill and let it accelerate to a substantial speed (where the tire profile is no longer sufficient to counteract lateral forces). Will he be able to balance and steer this thing using the traditional counter-steering principle? In other words, will this wide and flat tire profile interfere with counter-steering to the point where this thing will become uncontrollable?

He would die if he fell off at speed. As high as he is, he would get messed up even if still.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts