Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding today and headed for a hillier loop I ride pretty regularly (37 miles with 2,100 feet of ascent and descent)

As i started one of the longer and steeper climbs there was a sign, "men working"....ok, no big deal....I looked at the roadsides and it looked like a tornado had ripped through...all the trees and vegetation from the edge of the road back, say 20 feet was ALL ground up...trees up to 8 inches in diameter, just totally torn up...shattered. I rounded a bend in the road and there, in front of me was what looked like a HUGE back-hoe, but instead of an bucket...there was a MONSTER flail/mower deck. The operator was just wreaking havoc on everything in his path....from the ground, up to about 20 feet or more....He saw me and stopped and pulled over to the side and swung the mower off to the side and away from any obstacles and let me by...( really appreciated that)
The road ahead was COVERED with ground up vegetation and chunks of wood and branches..I dropped into my lowest gear to pick through it...I came DANGEROUSLY close to having to walk it....I was slipping and sliding all over. I did make it though...

I have NEVER seen anything like it before. That machine was sure making a mess.....certainly not a clean cut anywhere.....mashed shredded...hacked...

it was fast, I'll give it that.....

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well...I did make it through...lol...what worried me was the big chunks of stuff in the road..INCLUDING softball sized chunks of ROCK the flail had chipped off....

I was more than a little nervous passing by that thing....the guy did swing it WAY out of the way...but still

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Sounds like a small, man-made version of a tornado.

Say! That thing didn't happed to say Fujita on the back of it did it? :)

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cyclo-phile said:
I pictured something like this when I read the description....

A boom-mounted flail mower

got it...except it was rotary......NASTY.......

Mr. V. you know that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the carnage about a mile before the sign and the machine.....on the "completed" stretch of road....

as for fajita...OH....fUjita....not sure, I was too busy being scared to death to look for a name....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.