Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased this. https://www.montaguebikes.com/urban-folding-bike/

I wanted a full size commuter with folding capability. It's got some pretty crappy no name components and weighs in at 29lbs. I would like to upgrade for the sake of making it lighter, better, and because I like wrenching. Anyway, I'm thinking my first order is wheels. Out of the box both wheels are out of true and weigh a ton compared to my other wheels. Also, I'm probably going to eventually switch out to 9 or 10 speed and disk brakes. I'd like recommendations for strong 29"/700c Tubeless/capable, disk brake, 10/9/8 (7 with spacer?) wheels.

I'm open to suggestions re any of the other parts.

My last bike build was a while back and there are quite a few new components lines that are new to me. No need for Dura-Ace or SRAM XX level. But something better that $3 parts.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Without caliper mounts it's not easy to change to disc brakes. I've seen some bolt-on adapters but they didn't look like something I'd be willing to try.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,669 Posts
No-can-do for disc brakes. Frame needs mounts which this bike doesn't have.

As far as wheels, if you're saying these are heavy because they are heavier than a set of road wheels, well, yes, commuter/hybrid/touring wheels ARE heavier by nature. The fact that the wheels were out of true out of the box doesn't necessarily mean they are bad wheels, but could be they were just VERY, VERY poorly built. Take them to a bike shop and have them properly stress relieve and true them.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Recommendations? You're the only one who knows your budget or what you specifically want to upgrade.
Wheelsets? Way too many to recommend just one.

With straight bars you're limited to MTB/hybrid shift/brake levers. Obviously, pick Shimano or Sram and buy whatever level of components you choose.

If I had that bike the only thing I'd do is upgrade to 10 speed. See if there is a spacer behind the 7sp cassette that you can remove so a 10sp would fit.
I'd upgrade the crankset and probably switch to a double for a 2x10. The cheap stock crankset is probably heavy and you could take off some weight there.
New shifters with matching derailleurs. 10sp cassette and chain.
Better tires and lighter tubes.
Your favorite saddle.

You could go nuts and spend more than the cost of the bike to upgrade everything and it wouldn't make it much better than it is now. You could spend $1K to take off 5 pounds but it wouldn't be worth it. Better to spend that money for another bike and keep this one for when you travel.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I ride a fold-up Dahon for commuting. With the exception of days where there is snow and ice on the ground my experience is that disc brakes are not necessary. And on any bike the unit must be designed for disc brakes ahead of time. This includes road bikes. The forks need to be able to withstand the stress among other things.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The bike may possibly have one of those MF-TZ 31 Megarange 7-speed freewheels, not a 7-speed cassette. If it does, converting it to 10-speed may be more trouble than it's worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts