Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Bike Wing Conspiracy
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone from here doing the ride this Sunday?

I was toying with the idea of doing the 145 mile leg but have decided the 100 is enough for me. I am doing it on the track bike.

Last track bike time I have was in 2003. Total time from Babylon to Montauk was 5 hours 10 minutes.

I have not been riding nearly as much lately so I will be happy with a straight 6 hour finish.

See you out there.

If you recognize the bike on the ride, give me a shout out.

Onespeed

· Bike Wing Conspiracy
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recap of Century

The ride went off without a hitch.

In all my years of doing this ride, I dont think there was ever a better day. The ride itself is pretty much flat the entire way. There are a few rollers, but nothing that would be classified as a real hill. I would be surprised if there was more than 800 feet of total climbing for the entire 105 miles.

I nailed it in 5'30", 20 minutes off of my personal best. I was surprised that I did as well as I did. I havent been riding nearly as much as I was when I nailed it in 5"10". I started riding with friends at 7am and left them around 25 miles in because they didnt want to hold my pace-rode over the finish at 12:30 exactly. Being on a track bike my optimum pace is somewhere around 23-24 and I need to hold that.

The ride wasnt easy by a long shot but after a certain point the holy grail is in front of you and you just have to gut it out. I stopped 3 times for a total of maybe 15 minutes. I drank 3 Gatorades and ate 3 mini Snickers - there was no breakfast, I am not a big eater on the bike.

At around mile 60 my knee started giving me problems with the band that runs down my leg on the outside of my knee giving me some pain. I took some Advil Gel Tabs with the Gatorade that I drank in the gas station - I dont carry a water bottle, there are stores everywhere.

The last 15 miles I hit a wall but kowing the end was near gave me the strength to push through my cramping calves (the last 30 miles) and my knee pain that was flaring up.

Rolling over that finish line with 40 bikes ahead of me was nice. I hit the showers, put on some clean clothes and headed in for some lunch and a beer.

My knee pain is almost gone. I skipped riding into work on Monday but have ridden the rest of the week.

Cant wait for next year.

· Banned
4,302 Posts
onespeed said:
The ride went off without a hitch.

In all my years of doing this ride, I dont think there was ever a better day. The ride itself is pretty much flat the entire way. There are a few rollers, but nothing that would be classified as a real hill. I would be surprised if there was more than 800 feet of total climbing for the entire 105 miles.

I nailed it in 5'30", 20 minutes off of my personal best. I was surprised that I did as well as I did. I havent been riding nearly as much as I was when I nailed it in 5"10". I started riding with friends at 7am and left them around 25 miles in because they didnt want to hold my pace-rode over the finish at 12:30 exactly. Being on a track bike my optimum pace is somewhere around 23-24 and I need to hold that.

The ride wasnt easy by a long shot but after a certain point the holy grail is in front of you and you just have to gut it out. I stopped 3 times for a total of maybe 15 minutes. I drank 3 Gatorades and ate 3 mini Snickers - there was no breakfast, I am not a big eater on the bike.

At around mile 60 my knee started giving me problems with the band that runs down my leg on the outside of my knee giving me some pain. I took some Advil Gel Tabs with the Gatorade that I drank in the gas station - I dont carry a water bottle, there are stores everywhere.

The last 15 miles I hit a wall but kowing the end was near gave me the strength to push through my cramping calves (the last 30 miles) and my knee pain that was flaring up.

Rolling over that finish line with 40 bikes ahead of me was nice. I hit the showers, put on some clean clothes and headed in for some lunch and a beer.

My knee pain is almost gone. I skipped riding into work on Monday but have ridden the rest of the week.

Cant wait for next year.
How did you return? Did you have a car or did you train back at let them transport your rig. That's the thing that spooks me from this ride, Letting them toss your bike onto the bike truck.

· Bike Wing Conspiracy
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some friends met me at the finish.

I have taken the train back a bunch of times.

This time some friends came out to meet me and some of the other riders in my group.

We actually stayed out there for te night and drove back in the morning.

You are right though, I have had my bikes scratched in the trucks.

How did you do on the ride?

· Banned
4,302 Posts
onespeed said:
I have taken the train back a bunch of times.

This time some friends came out to meet me and some of the other riders in my group.

We actually stayed out there for te night and drove back in the morning.

You are right though, I have had my bikes scratched in the trucks.

How did you do on the ride?
Didn't do it buddy but I want to. Next year for sure. Great time you had by the way. Seriously, a hundred miles on a single speed at your time is no joke - flat or no. Kudos guy.

· Registered
508 Posts
onespeed said:
Anyone from here doing the ride this Sunday?

I was toying with the idea of doing the 145 mile leg but have decided the 100 is enough for me. I am doing it on the track bike.

Last track bike time I have was in 2003. Total time from Babylon to Montauk was 5 hours 10 minutes.

I have not been riding nearly as much lately so I will be happy with a straight 6 hour finish.

Onespeed

How was the wind that day? It has been pretty windy on the Island recently . . . although it sounds like you were the one generating your own 23 mph headwind!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.