Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TerryB, Alienator, Wayne, Varoadie, Zippi, Francois and all my fellow Moots brethern she is finally done. Thanks to the best Bike Shop around in CyclePath, Bill, Sam and Joshua thanks for all your help. She weighed in at a portly 15.72lbs. Now if it would just stop raining....... :D

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a que from you.....

terry b said:
Nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice, nice!
and went with the Ti spacers, steap they are, but a nice touch. Now only if I lived in NM so I could go out and enjoy her in some nice sunny weather!

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I was talking to one of my corporate peers the other day - he works in Hillsboro - and he told me that you'd had rain on 30 of the last 31 days. I'll be frank, I'd be parked in my garage (if I had a garage) with the door closed and the motor running. :D

We haven't had any precipitation in a meaningful amount since 10/22/05 - in other words, yet another droughty winter. But, while it is sunny, it's also been really cold and windy. I went out both days this weekend and man, the wind just sucked the life right out of my legs.

Next up in my bike rotation is the Moots, newly gussied up with a pink Arione. I'm starting this year riding 5 times on my favorite bikes before I get to the less favorite one. Currently at ride number 4 on my Vanilla, having completed the full circuit on my Parlee.

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how you do it?

terry b said:
I was talking to one of my corporate peers the other day - he works in Hillsboro - and he told me that you'd had rain on 30 of the last 31 days. I'll be frank, I'd be parked in my garage (if I had a garage) with the door closed and the motor running. :D

We haven't had any precipitation in a meaningful amount since 10/22/05 - in other words, yet another droughty winter. But, while it is sunny, it's also been really cold and windy. I went out both days this weekend and man, the wind just sucked the life right out of my legs.

Next up in my bike rotation is the Moots, newly gussied up with a pink Arione. I'm starting this year riding 5 times on my favorite bikes before I get to the less favorite one. Currently at ride number 4 on my Vanilla, having completed the full circuit on my Parlee.
First your buddy was right, we've had sog for a month straight, my wife and I want to move to Bend, However the weather man says we might actually get 3 dry days in a row!
I downsized my stable, gone are the Specialized, Giant, and Titus.
I'm down to 5 bikes. So tell me again how you manage to ride them all? What turmoil that must be? you're about what? 21 road bikes now? Do you still ride your Strong? I can't thank you enough for turning me on to Carl. I love that bike. Do you have some sort of rotating calendar to make sure you ride them all?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Well, not quite 21.

That Parlee made it 17 plus a single speed. In the past, I just rode them all until they had the same mileage. Didn't think about anything other than whose turn it was. For 2006, I'm going to ride them all 5 times in a row before rotating to the next one.

This year, I'm going to thin out a bit. Retire my single speed frame and move those parts over to my Gunnar. While I like the Roadie, it's not all that special so I think it will be better as a single/fixed.

But, I do have two others in the works - one with S&S couplers for travelling and one that won't be coming for about 3 months. I plan to retire my Bianchi Boron and move those parts to the S&S bike and I'll probably retire my Opera for the other. So, my net won't increase.

I will say though that I think I finally have too many. :)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Hey Phat,
Welcome to the club!! Don't listen to Terry, he just tells about the weather in NM to p--s us off once in a while. As for us, we're neck deep in snow and any riding to speak of will not be for a while. My Moots is safely tucked away in our bedroom closet waiting for dry pavement. Your Moots looks great. Give a rundown of your component list, please. What size frame did you get?
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Hey Terry, only 17 bicycles??

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
terry b said:
Yep - trying to stop before I hit 20.
Hi Terry,
Sorry, I don't want to hijack Phat's thread, but did you ever get the Davidson? How long have you had the Parlee? Which Parlee? The ride?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
The Davidson showed up last February - it turned out very nicely. Reallly great century bike and nice to look at too.

Just picked up the Parlee before Christmas - I should post some pix. It's the Z2 and it has a pretty nice ride. Stiff but pretty comfortable. Of the 3 CF bikes I own, I think this one is now my favorite. More robust than my Calfee and quicker feeling than my C50.

But, it's more than likely new-bike-itis.

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Wayne

wayneanneli said:
Hey Phat,
Welcome to the club!! Don't listen to Terry, he just tells about the weather in NM to p--s us off once in a while. As for us, we're neck deep in snow and any riding to speak of will not be for a while. My Moots is safely tucked away in our bedroom closet waiting for dry pavement. Your Moots looks great. Give a rundown of your component list, please. What size frame did you get?
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Hey Terry, only 17 bicycles??
I know how you feel, 30 straight days of rain here, I have got to move to Central Oregon. The older I get the more and more the rain bugs me in the winter.
my build list is:
compact SL frame size 52cm
Alpha Q sub 3 fork
CK headset (is there another?) in Red.
Syntace F99 stem (with Ti spacers)
Salso Moto Ace bars, (heavy but they fit my hands very nicely)
Dura Ace 10 shifters and derailleurs, and cassette and chain.
FSA K Force cranks.
Speedplay X-2 pedals
Tacx cages.
Moots seatpost
Sella Italia SLR saddle
Zero Gravity brakes (stainless)
Topolino wheelset with Conti attack/force tires.

I'll never be TerryB (he is my hero) I'm stopping @ 5 bikes.
My Moots.
My TREK HC OCLV 9.8 Hardtail Mtn bike
My Carl Strong commuter/crosser
My Dean Ti road bike
and My Indy Fab Cyclocross bike.
PS Wayne, there's nothing worse than having to change a flat in pouring down rain!

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
I know how you feel, 30 straight days of rain here, I have got to move to Central Oregon. The older I get the more and more the rain bugs me in the winter.
my build list is:
compact SL frame size 52cm
Alpha Q sub 3 fork
CK headset (is there another?) in Red.
Syntace F99 stem (with Ti spacers)
Salso Moto Ace bars, (heavy but they fit my hands very nicely)
Dura Ace 10 shifters and derailleurs, and cassette and chain.
FSA K Force cranks.
Speedplay X-2 pedals
Tacx cages.
Moots seatpost
Sella Italia SLR saddle
Zero Gravity brakes (stainless)
Topolino wheelset with Conti attack/force tires.

I'll never be TerryB (he is my hero) I'm stopping @ 5 bikes.
My Moots.
My TREK HC OCLV 9.8 Hardtail Mtn bike
My Carl Strong commuter/crosser
My Dean Ti road bike
and My Indy Fab Cyclocross bike.
PS Wayne, there's nothing worse than having to change a flat in pouring down rain!
It certainly is fun planning a new and putting it together isn't it? Were you there when they built it up? I'm not too great at stuff like that, so it was extra special last August to watch my pro mechanic friend put it together so meticulously. I'm starting to dream of a Carl Strong or a Dave Kirk myself. BTW, a whole bunch of us are planning on raiding Terry's place this summer to just sit and drool over his collection, do you want to join us??

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heck ya,

wayneanneli said:
It certainly is fun planning a new and putting it together isn't it? Were you there when they built it up? I'm not too great at stuff like that, so it was extra special last August to watch my pro mechanic friend put it together so meticulously. I'm starting to dream of a Carl Strong or a Dave Kirk myself. BTW, a whole bunch of us are planning on raiding Terry's place this summer to just sit and drool over his collection, do you want to join us??
I think we should all go to Terry's place, but lets do it in the winter when we are either drowning or shoveling snow ;)
Unfortunately for me though I'm too short to ride any of Terry's bikes. But we could get Alien and Varoadie and zippi and gosh I can' t remember all the Moots owners on this board. Terry and his wife could cater us all a big ride and luncheon, we'll call it the TB New Mexico Moo-tour!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wow that's a nice looking bike P&SV, I like the white tape. I noticed that you are riding Topo's, how do you like them? (you've probably answered that a gazillion times, I just haven't had a chance to read much lately other than a quick post or two) I have a set but haven't ridden them in a while, maybe I better get them back out, they look sweet on yours. I've been riding my Moots SL (59cm) with Orion's lately.
Thanks for posting the great photo and including me as a Moots member, too. Congrats & good riding. Also to the Seahawks, I think you live up there!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
TerryB, Alienator, Wayne, Varoadie, Zippi, Francois and all my fellow Moots brethern she is finally done. Thanks to the best Bike Shop around in CyclePath, Bill, Sam and Joshua thanks for all your help. She weighed in at a portly 15.72lbs. Now if it would just stop raining....... :D
Muy pretty build, P&S. Very muy pretty. I wondered how Topolinos would look on a Moots, and they look damned nice.

I prolly missed it while reading, but what size frame you gots? 15.72 lbs is nice. My Compact is just under 16.4 lbs, right now. It's a 57.5, and it's still waiting on new cranks and wheels. I expect to be sub 15.5ish when those changes happen. I don't, however, get the 0.3 lb bonuse that you SL guys get.

Wait 'til you get your Moots on the road. You'll love it.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
I think we should all go to Terry's place, but lets do it in the winter when we are either drowning or shoveling snow ;)
Unfortunately for me though I'm too short to ride any of Terry's bikes. But we could get Alien and Varoadie and zippi and gosh I can' t remember all the Moots owners on this board. Terry and his wife could cater us all a big ride and luncheon, we'll call it the TB New Mexico Moo-tour!
I'm up for it. You guys could distract Terry while I make off w/ his Parlee........

I've been trying to plan a ride of my own, from the Moots factory to Tucson. I think it'd be a muy excellent way to spend a couple of weeks.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:

Those poor NorthWesterners. That's a lot of rain they've been getting, although I wish we'd get a week or so of it: we haven't had rain in Tucson since August. Weather has been Tucson nice though. Last week highs were in the 60's, lows in the high 20's to low 30's. More of the same next week. Hell, on Tuesday I left home at 6am, in the dark, to ride the 14 miles to school. While it was 29 degrees, the ride didn't feel cold at all. I guess the lack of humidity is nice sometimes.

There's no way I could have as many bikes as TerryB. No way. I'd spend too much time puzzling over which bike to ride. I'm not saying that I'd turn down a Parlee or a Spin bike, but I don't see me spending the dosh for another bike in the near or mid-far distant future. I'd be more likely to buy a set of Lightweight wheels.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I saw her being built...

Phat&SlowVelo said:
Just last week I was in there, resisting every fiber in my body to reach out and fondle her...

No $hit on the rain. I thought I'd get one in yesterday, but that overhanging crap just made it colder. Nice bike, and anothe rgrat job by those Moots boys over at CP. Although you should have seen people stopping and doing a double take when they had 2 Quintana Roos being built up at the same time. That got some attention in there.

·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alien

alienator said:
Muy pretty build, P&S. Very muy pretty. I wondered how Topolinos would look on a Moots, and they look damned nice.

I prolly missed it while reading, but what size frame you gots? 15.72 lbs is nice. My Compact is just under 16.4 lbs, right now. It's a 57.5, and it's still waiting on new cranks and wheels. I expect to be sub 15.5ish when those changes happen. I don't, however, get the 0.3 lb bonuse that you SL guys get.

Wait 'til you get your Moots on the road. You'll love it.
God, I can't wait. Did you ever put those hand built DT SWISS wheels on your Moots?
I'll Distract Terry for you while you take his Parlee for a spin ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts