Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to possibly score a new, unbuilt Moots Compact SL at a decent price. I really do not need this frame, but the Moots 57.5 geometry is my exact fit and I am finding myself extremely smitten with this frame.

So, all you Moots owners, please talk me out of this. Tell me all the bad things about your bike. Tell me how I am going to hate it.

·
FTMD
283 Posts
Sorry, can't help ya!

Mine's still new, got it in December, and I'm very happy. However, if what you are on now is quality, it's not going to be some magnicant improvement. I'm coming from quality steel and while I'm glad I bought what I bought and have no regrets, I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's the best bicycle in the world. Sexist? Maybe!

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
My 57.5 Moots Vamoots was the 18th bike added to my garage. So you know where I stand on "need."

Hope this helps! :D

If you're struggling to decide though, buy it and then I'll buy it from you if the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
638 Posts
TI is a waste of money, it's no better than steel or CF. Don't bother wasting your money.

BTW, I have no interest in TI bikes, but if I ever bought one it would be a Moots Compact. If I had the money, I would tell you simply give me the contact information for the person selling it so I could save you from having to make the hard decisions.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
And my ride is a 57.5 Compact, so asking me is like asking a junkie to help you quit smoking. Give in. Treat yourself. BTW, I was so smitten with Moots that I divorced my Waterford Paramount OS and sold it on eBay.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I purchased a 50cm Moots Vamoots SL last year. While the craftmanship is superb, I do not enjoy riding the bike all that much since it's flexy even at my 140 lbs. It's much more flexy than larger tube Litespeeds that I've ridden for thousands of miles and it just doesn't accelerate the way my carbon and aluminum bikes do. It is very comfortable but soft.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Eric_H said:
So, all you Moots owners, please talk me out of this. Tell me all the bad things about your bike. Tell me how I am going to hate it.
I've been sitting here trying to think about all the bad things about my Moots and came up with the following list:

Too many Moots decals. (but easy to peel off)
Hasn't got ridden enough this winter (but spring is coming).
Too light (but I could fill all the water bottles and the seat pack)
Will never be able to use the "broken frame" excuse for getting a new bike in the future (as if I'd want to)

Sorry.....that's all I can think of.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If Moots were my first bike

I wonder if I would have kept searching for that magical ride. My compact has made me stop thinking about other frames. After years of riding Italian steel my Moots just feels better.
I was a traditionalist, liking lugs and steel. Then I saw a Compact. It looked industrial to me, like a good tool should. I started comparing Tig vs lugs.I am a convert, show me the welds. Slope that top tube just enough to give me a little more clearance.
Never worrying about rust again is a major plus. I was ready to sacrifice a little in the ride for the rust issue alone.
I thought I knew what a great bike it built up to be after the first 20 miles, but the feeling never went away, I really enjoy riding this bike.
Downsides. The decals.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Well Eric, since all the usual Moots crowd is joining, I might as well too. I'd been riding steel for almost 15 years when I gave in and bought my Vamoots 55. And I love it. I had been considering ti for many years and looked at all the usual companies (Seven, Litespeed, etc.) when I came across Moots. I could have purchased an SL, but could not justify the price difference for my level of riding. Believe me, the Vamoots was not cheap. But what a difference in ride between it and my old steel. I still love steel, but this thing is just too beautiful to regret buying. Wait a while, before you know it, Dick, Phat, and Varoadie will be chiming in soon enough :).
Cheers, Wayne

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Lets see.......

What I don't like about my Moots.........:confused:
I don't get to ride it enough.
My Zero Gravity brakes are stainless and not Ti
I don't have a set of Zipp 303 clinchers.
It's too damned beautiful, and it rides like velvet carpet tween me arse and the road
The stamp on the rear brake bridge of Mootsie is too frickin cool, Mad Dope. :cool:
You'll fondle it at night when no one is looking, You'll marvel at those welds, you'll have endless upgradeitis, at the mounds of dosh you could throw at it, and all to a most deserving and worthy Moots.
that reynolds 6/4 badge will haunt you..........
you had better just forget it..........think of the money you'll save in Moots jerseys, t-shirts, socks, stickers for your unworthy transport, Moots bandaides(my personal favorite) more Moots jerseys, (have you seen the copper one?) and all the Moots stuff you can't wait to get as you have joined the rest of us in owning the ultimate ride. :D

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
What I don't like about my Moots.........:confused:
My Zero Gravity brakes are stainless and not Ti
I don't have a set of Zipp 303 clinchers.
It's too damned beautiful, and it rides like velvet carpet tween me arse and the road
The stamp on the rear brake bridge of Mootsie is too frickin cool, Mad Dope. :cool:
You'll fondle it at night when no one is looking, You'll marvel at those welds, you'll have endless upgradeitis, at the mounds of dosh you could throw at it, and all to a most deserving and worthy Moots.
that reynolds 6/4 badge will haunt you..........
you had better just forget it..........think of the money you'll save in Moots jerseys, t-shirts, socks, stickers for your unworthy transport, Moots bandaides(my personal favorite) more Moots jerseys, (have you seen the copper one?) and all the Moots stuff you can't wait to get as you have joined the rest of us in owning the ultimate ride. :D

You need to become one with cold and rain so that you can ride more.

·
1,144 Posts
Nope, I'm a Portlander who hates the rain? future plans have me moving to Bend where I'll be much happier. Cold? no problem, Rain gets me Moots dirty. I hope they have a good cross series in Bend?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Nope, I'm a Portlander who hates the rain? future plans have me moving to Bend where I'll be much happier. Cold? no problem, Rain gets me Moots dirty. I hope they have a good cross series in Bend?
Ah, Bend. You can become a climber. Ain't that where Metolius is located?

Man except for the time between when I clean it and when it next hits the road, my Moots is always in some dirty state. Arizona: dust everywhere.

I bet they do cross in Bend.

·
1,144 Posts
You ever seen the Metolius Alien?

We stay at a cabin there every fall, right on the Metolius River. Camp Sherman right out of Sisters near Black Butte. Iffin the Metolius ain't the prettiest river, I dont know what is?
Mootsie and I have to do the century around mt bachlor on the cascade lakes hwy every year until I die. ....

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
We stay at a cabin there every fall, right on the Metolius River. Camp Sherman right out of Sisters near Black Butte. Iffin the Metolius ain't the prettiest river, I dont know what is?
Mootsie and I have to do the century around mt bachlor on the cascade lakes hwy every year until I die. ....
I've never seen it. I do hear, though, that Bend is a pretty cool place.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Done

Eric_H said:
I have an opportunity to possibly score a new, unbuilt Moots Compact SL at a decent price. I really do not need this frame, but the Moots 57.5 geometry is my exact fit and I am finding myself extremely smitten with this frame.

Alright, I pulled the trigger on the Moots. It might cost me some time in the spousal doghouse, hopefully I can sneak it into the basement under the cover of darkness. Don't harrass me for pictures just yet, I have to decide which of my other bikes will be sacrificed for parts to build the Moots, or I will have to slowly acquire parts like a squirrel readying for the winter.

·
1,144 Posts
Congrats Eric

A wise choice, indeed. the spouse will get used to it. some time in solitary is a small price to pay for such artistry. Welcome to the Moots club

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Eric_H said:
Alright, I pulled the trigger on the Moots. It might cost me some time in the spousal doghouse, hopefully I can sneak it into the basement under the cover of darkness. Don't harrass me for pictures just yet, I have to decide which of my other bikes will be sacrificed for parts to build the Moots, or I will have to slowly acquire parts like a squirrel readying for the winter.
Good on ya. Now that you're in the club, do your duty, call Wendy at Moots, and put your name on the list for the damned Moots flags, so the rest of us can get ours.

Transferring parts will work for a while, but it'll only be a band-aid solution. Eventually, you'll be driven to give your Moots better luvins', and you'll start buying new chit to put on it. When I got my Moots, I moved everything (except the fork) off the ol' bike. Save for the Campy record stuff and the Arione saddle, everthing else was replaced or is being replaced. Only have the wheels and cranks to go, and the cranks are on the boat headed this way from Deutschland. Once Ligero runs out of margarita mix and his hammock strings rot, he'll finish my new wheelset. Hell, I've even been thinkin' of givin the Specialized Toupe a try......cuz it's lighter than the Arione of course.

Don't fight it. Be one with the collective.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
On behalf of alienator, terry, phat, dick, oneslow, harvery, ftmd, pic and myself, welcome to the Moots gang.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't forget me Wayne...

Welcome!!
I've had my Vamoots for just under 2 moths and it's the finest riding bike I've ever had!!

It's pretty amazing when I commute to work on the Specialized, get home... switch shoes & hop right on the Moots (helmet never leaving my head)... What a difference!!

I thought it was great before riding the two bikes back-to-back, but now I can REALLY feel the difference. I've had soe other "high-end" bikes in the past, but none compare to my Vamoots...:) :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts