Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm not really sure where to direct this, but I figured I would give NCD a try. To the mods, feel free to move to the appropriate forum if I'm wrong. I just got off the phone with Wendy at Moots. The discussion forum at their website is getting hit with some pretty bad spam these days and I said that I would make some inquiries about it through some friends of mine - namely my pals at NCD :). Any idea what they can do to protect themselves and or get rid of this stuff? Yes, I realise they are a public forum, but I figured that with so many tech folks here, that you would know better than I. It seems that they outsource the management of their website, but are obviously having with spam. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Just trying to help them out a little because I like them.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Scotty,
The spam is being placed in the discussions where people post stuff:
http://www.moots.com/2005RidersTalk/viewforum.php?f=5
Essentially, it's a heap of posts referring to nothing, coming from a poster named "guest". This poster has posted this spam in all the discussions for the last little while and Moots have been deleting it as they go along.
Wayne

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Hey guys,
I'm not really sure where to direct this, but I figured I would give NCD a try. To the mods, feel free to move to the appropriate forum if I'm wrong. I just got off the phone with Wendy at Moots. The discussion forum at their website is getting hit with some pretty bad spam these days and I said that I would make some inquiries about it through some friends of mine - namely my pals at NCD :). Any idea what they can do to protect themselves and or get rid of this stuff? Yes, I realise they are a public forum, but I figured that with so many tech folks here, that you would know better than I. It seems that they outsource the management of their website, but are obviously having with spam. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Just trying to help them out a little because I like them.
Do you mean pop-ups or spammers posting on the forum or what?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Scotty,
The spam is being placed in the discussions where people post stuff:
http://www.moots.com/2005RidersTalk/viewforum.php?f=5
Essentially, it's a heap of posts referring to nothing, coming from a poster named "guest". This poster has posted this spam in all the discussions for the last little while and Moots have been deleting it as they go along.
Wayne
Wayne,

Can't they just ban the poster, even if registered under "guest" or something, or block the spammers IP?

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lousylegs said:
Wayne,

Can't they just ban the poster, even if registered under "guest" or something, or block the spammers IP?
Hi Lousy,
I guess what I'm wondering is how come I've never seen spam of this kind at RBR? Gregg, Coolhand, and the mods must be doing something right.
Wayne

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Unregistered Users

The problem is that you don't have to register to post. Even the simplest registration requirements will keep most spammers off. You still have to deal with cranks and people who come on to shill for companies ("I just got a great deal at xxxx.com! Go quickly--they're the best!"), but that's a lot less annoying.

What they probably have is somebody who's testing a spambot--one that exploits any install it finds of phpBB (the software) that doesn't have required registration enabled. If they don't enable "require reg" soon, the spammer will perfect his/her bot, and Moots'll probably be hit with vast quantities of REAL spam that includes NSFW images and/or boner pill ads.

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Hi Lousy,
I guess what I'm wondering is how come I've never seen spam of this kind at RBR? Gregg, Coolhand, and the mods must be doing something right.
Wayne
They are probably going to have to require registration- almost every single board I am a member of requires it now. You still get plenty of spammers, scammers, trolls, lions, tigers oh my- well you get the point. ;) But they are much easier to control that way.

Having a good set of mods and administrators certainly helps (especially if they are spread across time zones). Finally, an active community "bad posting" spammers early is invaluable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts