Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that due to the cock up in Athens, it will be difficult if not impossible to strip him of the medal he stole from Ekimov.

But what do you think of the moral aspect of this? Should they try to find a way to rectify the situation?

From what I've read in the thread started after his appeal was rejected, there seems to be a distinct similarity between the test results before and after the Olympics as well as the A test in Athens.

I, for one, think he should be stripped of the Gold.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
If there is a way

Russia is going to find it. Hamilton dodged a big, hollow point, silver bullet shot at point blank range on that one.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Let's play by the rules

ultimobici said:
I know that due to the cock up in Athens, it will be difficult if not impossible to strip him of the medal he stole from Ekimov.

But what do you think of the moral aspect of this? Should they try to find a way to rectify the situation?

From what I've read in the thread started after his appeal was rejected, there seems to be a distinct similarity between the test results before and after the Olympics as well as the A test in Athens.

I think that Tyler Hamilton has to accept that he lost his appeal to the CAS, the Olympic authorities and challengers, such as Ekimov, have to accept that Hamilton should not be stripped of his gold medal because his B sample was destroyed. The rules are the rules. Hamilton may think that the rules or the process by which he was suspended for doping are wrong; Ekimov may think that the legalistic rules that allow Hamilton to keep his gold medal are wrong. But, if there is a problem with either situation, the way to correct it is to work on the process or rules for future cases. What happened in 2004 has been decided conclusively and it is time to move on.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
I don't think...

MarkS said:
Just a I think that Tyler Hamilton has to accept that he lost his appeal to the CAS, the Olympic authorities and challengers, such as Ekimov, have to accept that Hamilton should not be stripped of his gold medal because his B sample was destroyed. The rules are the rules. Hamilton may think that the rules or the process by which he was suspended for doping are wrong; Ekimov may think that the legalistic rules that allow Hamilton to keep his gold medal are wrong. But, if there is a problem with either situation, the way to correct it is to work on the process or rules for future cases. What happened in 2004 has been decided conclusively and it is time to move on.
I don't think Eki is the one pressing for this, it is the Russian Olympic federation.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
What on earth do morals and ethics have to do with the Olympics?

Signed,

Tanya H
Honorary Pres
Portland/Vancouver Mobile Home Assoc.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
MarkS said:
I think that Tyler Hamilton has to accept that he lost his appeal to the CAS, the Olympic authorities and challengers, such as Ekimov, have to accept that Hamilton should not be stripped of his gold medal because his B sample was destroyed.
Hamilton shouldn't be stripped of his medal, but now that his appeals are over he should give his gold to Ekimov as the ethically proper thing to do. His Olympic A sample showed the same evidence of blood doping as his Vuelta sample, consistent with other evidence throughout 2004 of blood doping. Then again, maybe he knows all too well that he wasn't necessarily cheating anymore than Ekimov was, he may just have been the one to get caught.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I, for second, agree

ultimobici said:

I live in Boulder. I've encountered and converse w/ TH few time. He's nice and not snobby like the rest of Boulder. I respected him up til he got caught cheating. Ekimov deserve the Gold. This does not look good for our country regardless of the B sample. The world and US knows he cheated.

·
Banned
608 Posts
DirtFace said:
The world and US knows he cheated.
And the world and the U.S. knows that Hamm character should not be walking around with a gold medal either, but you don't see them falling over themselves to give it back to Korea.

Ekimov's been around for a long time, right through the time there was team supported EPO use. We are not talking about saints being robbed here. Pro cyclist do not express outrage that they were cheated out of victory by a doping opponent. Ekimov is not calling for Hamilton to be stripped.

When proof finally surfaced that Armstrong doped, the only thing Ullrich could manage to say was that he was disappointed. Menchov does not seem angry about Heras.

You take your dope and you take your chances. All pro cyclists realize that getting busted is just an occupational hazard that could happen to any of them.

It would be nice if Hamilton were stripped. It would be nice if Armstong were stripped. It would be nice if all the dopers were stripped and tossed out of the sport, but that is not going to happen. Dopers get rewarded; that's why they dope.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
And the world and the U.S. knows that Hamm character should not be walking around with a gold medal either, but you don't see them falling over themselves to give it back to Korea.
You made a lot of valid points with the exception of Hamm. Hamm does not deserve the gold due to Judge error but when does sports reverse outcome of the games/events/race due to officials mistake? Almost never. They sure didn't do it to the Seahawks. Official’s error is part of the game. EPO (or performance enhancing drugs) is not. Hamm didn't cheat; the other gymnast just got robbed.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
magnolialover said:
I don't think Eki is the one pressing for this, it is the Russian Olympic federation.
At the shop the other day, Eki was in (he's in town for Tour of CA) and the owner asked him about tyler and the Olympics. His response was simple. "That's MY medal." He might not be personally pressing for this, but his feelings were pretty clear!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts