Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
frpm Cycling News:

Two 'intense' groups – bye-bye to entry level

For 2009, Campagnolo is dividing its range into two distinct categories: the three 11-speed groupset are deemed by Campagnolo to be for "Competition", while those lower in the range – Centaur and Veloce – are designated for "Intense Use" by people who may put in thousands of kilometres a year but don't actually race. Those lower groupsets in the range will remain at 10-speed but will share a number of the new design features of their "Competition" stablemates.

Both will include the new shaped Ergopower levers, but with aluminium instead of carbon levers. Centaur will include an optional carbon chainset with the remainder in polished aluminium, while Veloce will be black anodised.

·
Oh hai there
1,118 Posts
I think Campy's dumping of entry level is mostly a good idea, in that all but maybe a few bikeshops only use low end Shimano. The idea of building a beater with a super cheap-o Campy Xenon where the whole group costs ~$300 brand new is nice but how many people actually do it.

·
Banned
519 Posts
I think this is a terrible mistake for Campy to be alienating the lower-end of their customers. I started with lower-end Campy stuff way back in the late 80s & 90s. That got me into the Campy genre and looking forward to more high-end stuff.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
barbedwire said:
I think this is a terrible mistake for Campy to be alienating the lower-end of their customers. I started with lower-end Campy stuff way back in the late 80s & 90s. That got me into the Campy genre and looking forward to more high-end stuff.
IMO Centuar is low enough. Mirage and Xeon sucked!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
its not campys thing - they'll never be picked up by the low end OEM, so why bother... it doesn't fit campys image of high end euro gear...

veloce is still pretty cheap...

so centaur is s'posed to be polished alloy? that clashes w/ a few pics i've seen w/ a carbon brake lever... oh wells... idk...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.