Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why its next to impossible to find a <$2k bike with Campy Veloce? Basically, it looks like my choices are limited to Bianchi, Cannondale or Orbea. Are there other brands that dealers would likely carry...? Even brands that had Veloce bikes last year (ie: Devinci) seem to have ditched them for 2006. Is the 2006 Shimano 105 line too much improved over earlier years, bike shops unhappy about servicing Campy gear... or Shimano has a stranglehold on the OEM market?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
ran into the same issue looking for a bike for my wife. I use campy, so I wanted a veloce equipped bike for her because of parts compatability down the road and I'm used to working on it. Also, the veloce bikes were priced at such a premium that you could by a frame/fork, then scour the internet and equip it with chorus for less money.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I don't know. There are more choices with the lower Campy groups if you are in Europe.
Maybe you should buy a frame and build it up? I have two bikes based on nice Italian frames, both purchased new for much less than retail (one on eBay), built with a combination of Centaur and Chorus. Each came out to less than $2k, if you are a wily shopper. Also, have a look at GVH bikes; they have some good prices on Campy build kits if you can find a frame.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah, we need more mid-end campy-equipped bikes! Almost nothing comes with Centaur: it should be entirely possible to sell a Centaur-equipped bike for $2000, since that is what full Ultegra bikes like the Cannondale R1000 sell for. Lots of people prefer Campy, so there should be more options.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Similar story here.

Robert M. said:
I have a 2005 Lemond Sarthe that came with Veloce. I love the bike and the shifting is great. But this year the new Sarthe has Ultegra. Glad I got mine last year. Oh, I also think it was around $1500.
I recently bought a left-over 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires (one of the carbon/steel "spine" bikes) for $1600 (lists for $2000). Veloce brakes, brifters, front der, and cassette; Centaur rear der; Bontrager crank and hubs like your Sarthe. It's my first Campy Ergo bike and I love it, but for 2006 the Buenos Aires is an Ultegra/105 bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.