Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my last bit of coffee. Made a full French press, and it turns out that the other coffee drinker is out sick today.

Couldn't let a nice organic dark French roast go to wast now, could I?

I'll be pumping straight coffee through my veins in no time. This stuff's been sitting in the grounds for a good 30 min. as well. Thick like molasses. Good stuff!

"My other legal stimulant is Hollywood."

joe

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
jittery yet?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warning, the Bassmaster General has determined that coffee is good for your health.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andrea138 said:
I've got the same press!

Actually, I gave the same press to Mr. 138 for his last birthday along with a radical burr grinder.

Hot.

joe

·
Registered
738 Posts
Keep Beans Fresh?

I just got a 5lb sack of freshly roasted Ethiopian beans shipped from my favorite roaster. I dumped about half in the "readily accessible" canister in the kitchen but I'm wondering what's the best way to store the rest to keep it fresh. Freezer? Just close it up tight and store in a cool, dry place? My wife has one of those seal a meal things that sucks all the air out and seals the plastic packing, do you think it's worth going through all that?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ricko said:
I just got a 5lb sack of freshly roasted Ethiopian beans shipped from my favorite roaster. I dumped about half in the "readily accessible" canister in the kitchen but I'm wondering what's the best way to store the rest to keep it fresh. Freezer? Just close it up tight and store in a cool, dry place? My wife has one of those seal a meal things that sucks all the air out and seals the plastic packing, do you think it's worth going through all that?
FAIL! I meant to start a new thread with this question

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ricko said:

I keep mine in an air tight freezer bag in the freezer. Works for me, but I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it.

joe

·
yup
2,726 Posts
You have inspired me. Now I am twitchy and paranoid. Oh wait. I was before the coffee too.

Before and after shots

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
I'm on my last bit of coffee. Made a full French press, and it turns out that the other coffee drinker is out sick today.

Couldn't let a nice organic dark French roast go to wast now, could I?

I'll be pumping straight coffee through my veins in no time. This stuff's been sitting in the grounds for a good 30 min. as well. Thick like molasses. Good stuff!

"My other legal stimulant is Hollywood."

joe
erm, why is this pic taken from the ground up and all fuzzy?

you know you've had too much when...

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2cflyr said:
erm, why is this pic taken from the ground up and all fuzzy?

you know you've had too much when...

It's called art, b*tch.

:D

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
unclefuzzy_ss said:
Freezing coffee = bad, mmmk?

Keep it in a cool dark place. That's all you need. Freezing it freezes all the oils that make it taste so yummy!

Seriously? Even if it's whole bean? Has everything I've been told up to this point been a lie?

joe

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i have a sudden urge to destroy a computer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
unclefuzzy_ss said:
Yep, this comes from a former barista...er...baristo...uh, I slung coffee in college. I heard it direct from the dudes roasting the beans. Freezing wasn't good for the flavor.
"Barista" is the noun, for both genders, in English.

Joe, the big no-no is putting coffee in the refrigerator, especially if it's pre-ground. Coffee is hygroscopic (meaning it absorbs moisture from its surroundings), and the fridge is a very moist environment. Your coffee can actually get mildewy if you put it in the fridge. The freezer is fine, though, with one stipulation. Only freeze coffee once. If you're putting coffee in and out of the freezer every day, several bad things are happening. First, the freezing and thawing causes condensation on the beans, which can again lead to mildew. Secondly, if you're not letting the beans thaw completely (that is, if you're grinding frozen beans), your grinder is doing less grinding and more breaking, leading to uneven particle size and poorer cup quality.

The best way to store coffee is in an airtight container, out of the light, at room temperature. A typical brown paper coffee bag inside a ziplock bag will do just fine. And ideally, grind fresh for every pot and only buy what you can use in a week. If I haven't finished my coffee by the time it's two weeks old (after roasting), I toss it. But then I'm in the industry and I can afford to be picky.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts