Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a nice Dura-Ace 8-speed wheelset, but I'm not sure about the freehub compatibility. What it has for a freehub is this:
Product Technology Black Metal Still life photography

Now, I know that SOME D/A freehubs are aluminum, and have extra "tall" splines. I'm also familiar with the differences between Uniglide, Hyperglide, and those which are compatible with both, as below: View attachment 319971
Automotive tire Rim Text Photograph White

but the threads on the D/A freewheel look like they are cut in deeper, and off the spline body. What is this? Uniglide, hyperglide, or some D/A specific oddity? I assume it would be easily replaceable? Please, let me know, I may be able to use it as a bargaining chip for a better price!

Thanks.

View attachment 319971
View attachment 319971

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It is a 7400 uniglide 8-speed. The last cog screws on. PM me if you need cogs. I have a few. The 9-speed hyperglide cogs will also fit except for the screw-on 12 or 13. I mixed and matched and couldn't really tell much difference shifting. I may be wrong but if I remember, the 8 speed washers were steel and the spacers determined 8 or 9 speed spacing. The cog thickness was the same for both.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the outer cog screws on from the outside? FWIW, I will NOT be using D/A cassettes, so I assume that I will need to replace it with a non-D/A Freehub? I assume there is no compatibility issues (like with 6-speed D/A freehub hub mount splines)? I also assume that this locking cog is NOT the same as Uniglide locking cogs? Also, the freehub splines here are not the "tall splines", and can take any cassette?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts