Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. A little while back I posted a couple shots from the CU crit that I ran some faux-lomo effects on. While I'm not a huge fan of tons of postprocessing, I do like this particular effect. In specific, it can sometimes perk up blown or otherwise pedestrian shots.

The 2 shots below belong to the latter category. I took them with my little 5mp happy-snap compact on the 22 mile climb to Ward on Easter Sunday. While I love my Nikon D70, there are simply places I can't or refuse to take it. like on a long-arse climb to infinity.

Specs on the ride: those who know the area well, I did the Boulder -> Ward -> Allenspark -> Lyons -> Hygiene -> Boulder loop. I usually do this loop counterclockwise, going up St. Vrain. this time I climbed all the way up Lefthand, and it's a lot easier and more scenic going clockwise, lemme tell ya.

I didn't use the powertap on on Sunday, but from memory this is something like a 60 mile ride with 5'500 feet or so of vertical gain. fortunately the wind wasn't too bad. I also pulled my usual stupid roadie trick of getting dressed THEN applying sunscreen. started overheating and pulled off the arm and leg warmers about five miles up Lefthand Canyon... oops. 2 hours of climbing at 7-10,000' on a cloudless day fries my Caucasian white arse, but good. and cos the wind's so nice and brisk, you don't even know it until you take a hot shower afterwards. yikes.

Anyway, I thought both these photos were lounge-worthy, seeing as they have little to do with bikes (well they were shot from the saddle, but that's about it). White trees, sepia cows. Enjoy cow coning, there firstrax. Let me know what you think - overcooked, stupid-looking, sepiatone too drab, whatever. If you're interested in how to replicate this effect, I posted a workflow on the CU crit pics and can resurrect it easily enough.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Great Pictures........

I really like the second one.

Len

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Like 'em both a lot, LFR. The second one looks pure evil. The trees are like demon fingers sprouting from the unholy ground.
Must not have used iPhoto.

:p

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Len J said:
I really like the second one.

Len
wow, thanks Len! that's the one I almost deleted off the card when I saw how blurry it was!

I should post the original colour caps so youall can see what I was dealing with. The aspens were just plain bland. The cows was an interesting shot blown to hell by camera shake and the fact that I was bumping along a narsty pavement at a goodly clip and shooting blind.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jptaylorsg said:
The trees are like demon fingers sprouting from the unholy ground.
heh I love our pasture sentinels (big ol cottonwoods). They sure do make an unholy mess in a storm, that's for sure.

personally it was the evil cows that had me worried :eek:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I like it because.....

the initial view sets a "mood" and then I was drawn to the details, and then back to the overall picture. The trees are "brooding" too.

I love pictures that set an emotioanl mood.

Len

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
I really, really dig the second shot. The motion blur of the post/sign/whatever really makes the whole shot work, IMO.

Like Len said, it sets the mood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts