Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What is your favorite brand of gel, I've been experimenting and I really seem to like the powergel.

2. What sort of homemade foods do you bring with you when you are going out for a long ride?

Thanks

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
I like any of the chocolate gels but tend to hate any other flavor. I only rarely eat gels as I usually prefer real food.

I bring mostly bananas and homemade granola bars. Bananas are sweet because they require no packaging and are packed with all kinds of vitamins, minerals and simple sugars. For really long rides I like pb&J sandwiches made on whole wheat bread with cashew butter (homemade too with walnuts and flax seed) instead of peanut butter. Anything with a little protein in addition to carbs seems to work fine.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Compromise

Gregpape23 said:
1. What is your favorite brand of gel, I've been experimenting and I really seem to like the powergel.

2. What sort of homemade foods do you bring with you when you are going out for a long ride?
1. Unless you are in a really hard event where eating is a serious challenge, there's not much point in gels - they're just high-priced sugar.

2. Fig Newtons, salted mixed nuts with a couple of antacid tables for extra calcium. I add salt and lite salt (1/3 tsp each) to insure adequate electrolyte intake. Plus I have a Coke at the break for the extra sugar and caffeine. It's been working great for years on my weekly century rides.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
1. Unless you are in a really hard event where eating is a serious challenge, there's not much point in gels - they're just high-priced sugar.

2. Fig Newtons, salted mixed nuts with a couple of antacid tables for extra calcium. I add salt and lite salt (1/3 tsp each) to insure adequate electrolyte intake. Plus I have a Coke at the break for the extra sugar and caffeine. It's been working great for years on my weekly century rides.
How many fig newtons?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I did my first metric century yesterday with my riding buddy - he got me into cycling starting in November - he did all the organized rides last year. He never knew the secret of Fig Newtons! ;)

We were hanging out in the grass at a rest stop about 30 kms from the finish. I made him have some Fig Newtons - I told him there were 50 calories in each Fig Newton. He looked between the Fig Newtons and a Clif bar and said "I can eat 5 of these (pointing at Fig Newtons) WAY easier than I can eat one of these (pointing at the Clif bar)!"

Seriously, if you're like my friend or like me, it's "difficult" to make yourself eat as many calories as you really need for long rides. The Fig Newtons are easy to chow down on at a rest stop, or you can just pull a couple out to eat every hour while you're on the bike :)

Mmmmmm, I'm hungry now :)

Edit: And just to add - bananas too!! :) I love peanut butter sandwiches (or peanut butter and honey or molasses if you want a few more calories) but they are kind of difficult for me to eat when I'm on a long ride.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Dose rate

il sogno said:
How many fig newtons?
On my long rides, I eat about 3 Fig Newtons per hour (165 calories) and then take in about 750 calories at the break (mixed nuts, 2 cookies, and a 20 oz. Coke). For the 110-120 miles of the ride, total calorie intake is 1400 with an estimated expenditure of 3800 calories. I start about 40 minutes after a good breakfast, so I have around 500 calories in my gut. You get about 200 calories per hour from fat metabolism, so the calorie deficit for the ride is 600-800 calories, or about 1/3 of what is probably available as stored glycogen in the liver and muscles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Burned out on gels right now. Taking cliff blocks (any flavor) and maybe a energy bar of some type. Homemade choices are usually a almond butter and banana sandwich, cut in half for 2 servings.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I can't get past the texture of gels- blech. I carry Clif Bloks or jelly beans instead for faster carbs.

For more complex carbs, I like dried fruit, fig newtons, or whatever granola bars were on sale. There's just something more satisfying about eating "real" food.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
Gregpape23 said:

Thanks
I personally prefer Hammer gel since I buy it in the refill bottles and use a flask. No trash, and you don't have to have a "full" shot if you don't want to (alternately, you can have more than a full shot if you want to!).

Bananas, does trail mix count as homemade?, sometimes a sandwich on long mountain bike rides (PB or almondB &J). You can try PB&honey on wheat/whole grain bread also. Saw a few of the pro mountain bikers doing that last weekend at a race. I'm trying it this coming weekend :) I asked... one said it tasted good and went down easy.

I was on a mountain bike ride once and one of the guys pulled out a left over steak and baked potato. Whatever works for YOU! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts