Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a droid incredible (awesome) and found an app called sportypal in the market place. It logs speed distance avg. speed total time and calories. So not too much data, but it does work with google maps which is nice. Now I can venture out on new routes and not worry about getting lost on the way home. I was wondering if anyone has tried this out? and does it work well? I want to try it myself but have no idea how I would mount it, any thoughts on this too?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Duck tape works wonders

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Personally, I would just ride and leave the $300 gadget in the pocket......often useful for making emergency phone calls. I know it's fun having a new toy, but why subject it to constant vibration and possible loss or damage if it falls off or crashes? Buy a $30-40 computer. And don't get lost. :idea:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an Incredible also (amazing), and I too was looking at gps apps and what not. But I decided a cyclocomputer would be better, due to the fact of mounting, have a $600 (retail) piece of equipment on your bike, and it'd just look silly. Buy a cyclocomputer ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've already got a cyclocomputer too. I was mainly looking at the GPS aspect, but also the ability to store all the data from previous rides as well was appealing. I'll probably just keep it in the pocket and stop to check the map if i ever need to

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
60 dollar bicycle computer and http://www.bikejournal.com allows me to tell you about stored rides that took place years ago.
Best of all, I can save up for a new bike with the money I saved not buying a GPS monstrosity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I keep my iPhone 4 in my jersey pocket (in a zip-lock baggie to protect against moisture) and run an app called Cyclemeter. It uses the iOS 4 background capabilities to log my route, speed, time, etc. I'd never mount it on my bars, there's just too much risk with it being there.

As for the GPS navigation talk, don't worry about it. One of the greatest things about cycling is getting lost and working hard to find your way back. If worse comes to worse, just grab the phone and check Google Maps when you need it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am currently using this app. I have my phone with me in the saddle so I us it. Once I get my road bike, I'll put a cyclometer on it. It keeps track of all your workouts and you can compair with your friends. You can enter everything manually if you want to also.

http://www.endomondo.com/login

1 - 9 of 9 Posts