Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 510 Edge has been a clunker lately. It's been a little less than three years of solid service up to now, sure it's been wonky and more so lately, I have to forget the connection and reconnect the phone and head unit probably every 3/4 rides. The phone connection is connecting and disconnecting all the time on rides and beeping in and out... but now... The battery only goes like 30 minutes. It reads charged but says it's turning off in 10 minutes after about 20 minutes. I charge it 100% and no difference. I've been a good steward of my battery, I always run It down really low then charge it to full. So the re-syncing issue is one thing, but now I'm losing data. Unforgivable. It's getting on about time to ask my wife to throw it as high as she can when I call pull.

Any one else have these problems?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I've been a good steward of my battery, I always run It down really low then charge it to full.
This will shorten the life of a Lithium Ion Battery for sure - they don't like deep discharge, they don't have memory. You probably just need a battery - $15 and a little work and you will be going. It's not hard to do, see the youtube below. If you don't want to mess with it I would gladly pay postage for you to send it to me, I'll use it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6lo1dNMgB8

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Those charging myths you hear are about the older NiCd or NiMH batteries, they don't apply to the newer lithium ones as stated above.

Also as stated above replacing the battery is very simple on this unit and it's certainly the path I would take personally.

I've used the new 520, owned one recently, I think it sucks hard, I can't stand it. I went back to the trusty 800. Broken tabs? Dogears fix. Bad battery? Replace it.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sounds like the battery is toast and probably causing the other issues.

New battery from Garmin ?
Makes sense!

Yep. After about a year. Garmins really suck with that stuff. Tried other brands, though, and they suck in different ways. So stuck with a Garmin that I love to use but am sure will burn me a day after the warranty is up.
That answers a question I had in the back of my head about bailing on Garmin...

This will shorten the life of a Lithium Ion Battery for sure - they don't like deep discharge, they don't have memory. You probably just need a battery - $15 and a little work and you will be going. It's not hard to do, see the youtube below. If you don't want to mess with it I would gladly pay postage for you to send it to me, I'll use it.

And I thought you were going to say "send it with a battery and return postage and I'll fix it for you." Haha.

Those charging myths you hear are about the older NiCd or NiMH batteries, they don't apply to the newer lithium ones as stated above.
Also as stated above replacing the battery is very simple on this unit and it's certainly the path I would take personally.

I've used the new 520, owned one recently, I think it sucks hard, I can't stand it. I went back to the trusty 800. Broken tabs? Dogears fix. Bad battery? Replace it.

Oops. I gues I helped toast it thinking I was doing the opposite. And I'm thinking 520... Ribble has the for $224. Hard to imagine it being less reliable than the 510 but I still hear bullet proof stories about the old 500. If they only had wireless transfers.

Thanks all, these replies are really helpful. If I pull the battery and have the unit backed up can I put the existing data back on by connecting it to Garmin after the swap? Does the same thing apply if I get a new head unit? Can I load the existing data onto it?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

Oops. I gues I helped toast it thinking I was doing the opposite. And I'm thinking 520... Ribble has the for $224. Hard to imagine it being less reliable than the 510 but I still hear bullet proof stories about the old 500. If they only had wireless transfers.

I replaced my 510 with the 520 and I think not having the touch screen is a big plus. Besides the eventual battery issues, I had crazy screen issues, especially during (just went blank) and then after a heavy downpour (the touch sensor/whatever wouldn't work for 80% of the screen). Freezing it in the freezer and reseting the sensor stuff would help for a while, but then it started draining and not charging and Garmin was like "it's been 14 months, we'll give you a 20% or whatever discount on a 520 if you send it back to us" and I started trying other brands.

520 has been flawless, though, and has a couple of other features I've found useful. We'll see after another half a year, though.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts

Thanks all, these replies are really helpful. If I pull the battery and have the unit backed up can I put the existing data back on by connecting it to Garmin after the swap? Does the same thing apply if I get a new head unit? Can I load the existing data onto it?
I don't like the lack of bike profiles on the 520, also don't like the sensor pool thing it uses.

My Stages is power and cadence. My Powertap is just power so on that bike I have a separate cadence sensor. When riding the Stages bike, the 520 non stop searches for a cadence sensor even though it's receiving, displaying and recording cadence already from the Stages. The sensor pool thing is terrible if you ask me.

I personally don't like the buttons. You often times have to use two hands or somehow hold one side of the unit while pushing on the other side of the unit and not rotating it in the mount. I don't like that you are forced to put the unit spaced out in front of the stem so you can reach the buttons on the side facing you. I much prefer to have the unit right up against the stem.

Then there's the whole there's no SD card slot and the memory is tiny. It comes with no maps, but there is a workaround for the maps. The workaround consists of only being able to have maps for your very local area. Anything else and you have to delete your home map and install a new one for wherever you go.

Oh, and the GPS isn't very good. They say that GLONASS works better in mountains and trees and whatever... it doesn't. It doesn't at all. I found it not to work at all in several parts of the mountains where GPS doesn't work. My... I'm ranting... did I mention I don't like the 520? I could keep going.

Anyway, I wanted to answer your questions. Yes, you can put your data on the 520 to an extent. You can't put any bike data on it and it does not log miles for any bikes in particular. But you can just load old activities onto it's memory and it will store them okay. As far as your personal data, that all has to be re-entered from scratch. You'll have to make a custom profile thing on the 520 too. I think your activities are about the only thing you can safely transfer between units.

I got my 520 from Ribble too. Getting it was just fine, I just didn't like using it at all.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
my wife's Garmin 810 is crashing frequently, and has a LOT of trouble losing connection from her Garmin power pedals. honestly don't know why Garmin remains in business. So happy to steer clear of them, after years of trying to get by with their incredible mediocrity compared to iOS gps app functionality and Wahoo peripherals! (have had a Garmin Boat gps, garmin Oregon, and an older Edge etc)

·
Registered
698 Posts
I replaced my 4 year old Garmin 705 battery with one from newpower99.com. It was easy to do with the tiny tools that came with the battery. The new battery has been working great for a couple of years now.

Here's the page for the 510 battery. Hmmm, that's more complicated than the 705, with 2 speaker wires that need cutting and stripping.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
phones eventually fail to charge even if you change the battery , why not garmins. my last land-line phone lasted about 6-8 years though. new one lasting even longer. all devices eventually fail to recharge at some point.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
And I thought you were going to say "send it with a battery and return postage and I'll fix it for you." Haha.

[/FONT]
Sure, I could do that - but it would be faster for you to do it yourself! :)

On your data question, you shouldn't lose any data - but if you have your rides backed up I think you would just need to copy them into those folders. Routes you would probably have to rebuild I'm guessing.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure, I could do that - but it would be faster for you to do it yourself! :)

On your data question, you shouldn't lose any data - but if you have your rides backed up I think you would just need to copy them into those folders. Routes you would probably have to rebuild I'm guessing.
Haha, you underestimate my mechanical incompetency. I'm going to take a crack at it...

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I passed my 320 ( I think, whatever top of the line was then) that I bought in 2007 on to my wife when I got a 500 in 2011. Both still work fine, although my wife isn't too demanding of hers.

·
Wandering
195 Posts
honestly don't know why Garmin remains in business.
I keep thinking / hoping another company will see the opportunity & jump in. Wahoo sounded great when they launched their new head unit but after reading threads, I'm quite happy that I wasn't an early adopter - maybe they'll get the issues worked out & put Garmin out of business - especially considering that they set the bar so low ... :yikes:

I've stayed with my 500 since the size is right & it's been around so long, there were none of Garmin's famous early adopter / beta-tester issues. However, it would be nice to have maps & a bluetooth phone link ...

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
My 800 is almost 5 years old. The first year it was sketchy but software updates seemed to solve that. It's been flawless since. The last few years I've ridden around 500 miles a month during the fall/winter and 800/month during the summer. I download/charge on Thursday and Sunday. I never really go below 40% on the charge between download days. I'd like a newer one with more features and Bluetooth, but this one won't die.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts